Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A question for Carmen if she is around!!!!

Posted by Pam S. on 5/14/03 at 20:34 (118774)

Hi Carmen,
Sharon recommended I ask you about trigger point therapy. I have a significant trigger point in my soleus of my right calf, smaller one on my left. Do you think getting a trigger point injection might help my feet? The PT I saw today feels the soleus is very important to consider while treating painful arches and PF. It does make sense.

This PT said it is difficult to find docs who understand how to treat trigger points and some do not believe it is an issue. It certainly was painful when she pressed on it. YIKES. Felt like she had steel fingers!!!

Did the trigger point work you did help your feet at all? I guess we are all constantly searching for relief aren't we.

I feel a little down. I think when spring arrives and we want to wear different shoes and be out more our feet speak to us. I went on a really fun trip only to return to lots of pain from being on my feet too much. That is what I get from shopping too much. I also went to the Matisse/Picasso exhibit in New York. Lots of standing there on CONCRETE floors. Saw the play Hairspray. It was cute. The friends I was with were really nice and understanding but I did not want to stop. I wanted to keep up with everyone else. IT WAS WORTH IT.... i think.. Thx ladies!!!!

ps the PT i am seeing is not for my feet but another problem i have. She is so smart, however, i asked her about feet today.

Re: A question for Carmen if she is around!!!!

Necee on 5/15/03 at 00:59 (118794)

I think Carmen might be out of touch for a few days, there has been an illness in her family.
Lets keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Necee

Re: Necee

carmen h on 5/15/03 at 08:55 (118816)

thanks for your thoughtfulness Necee....you are always so kind. I am in the middle of your email reply and have a meeting with the press today so my life is a buzz as usual...until we get more news today on my Dad I am trying to not think too much about it.
:(

Re: Pam

carmen h on 5/15/03 at 08:58 (118817)

Hi Pam~

I need to make sure you understand the difference between the trigger point therapy I had and the one you seem to be talking about. I didn't have shots into the TP's..I had them released by manual massage which I recommend over shots any day. It's PAINFUL but in a good way. If your doctor can press on it and you FEEL it....get it released by an experienced therapist. Where do you live and do you have a massage school near by?
This will give you relief in the soleus as well as some tightness relieved from your feet.
I have had my soleus TP's released a few times..(I am prone to them) and it is a big difference how it feels after that.Your doctor is correct about saying there aren't a lot of therapists experienced in this release method..but there are more this year than there were last...so they are catching on.
PLUS I recommend looking into a book by Claire Davies..the Trigger POint therapy workbook.

Re: Carmen...

Suzanne D on 5/15/03 at 09:10 (118821)

Take care, Carmen. I will keep your dad in my prayers as well. [-o< I wasn't aware he was having problems, so I'm glad Necee told us. I'm not always good at keeping up with individual e-mails as much as I'd like; I just run out of time. But I don't forget any of you!

I thought of you this morning early as we woke up to heavy rain and hail. We had to almost drag our poor old dalmation into the basement. He always sleeps on our front porch even though he has a pen and a dog house. He was getting pelted with the hailstones, so we made sure to bring him in.

Suzanne :)

Re: for Carmen

Pam S. on 5/15/03 at 09:36 (118824)

Dear Carmen:
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry you have illness in you family. That is so stressful.

I live in the Chicago area. We are now in the news for racous teens doing crazy things. Have you all heard about that?

I have a great massage therapist I see weekly to help control my fibromyalgia issues. She is not as aggresive with trigger points. This PT who located these in my soleus was KILLING me. I could not believe how that felt. She said most people with these have PF. I can look into this further. I am not Dying to get the injections. I will get that book. Thx so much. Stay well and take care of yourself. Thank you, Pam

Re: for Carmen

Kathy G on 5/15/03 at 10:16 (118831)

I have no idea if this is viable but here in NH, there is a physiatrist, an MD to whom I brought my mother several years ago. She suffered from extremem pain due to muscle spasms. He did a scan, I can't remember the name of it, that showed all the 'hot' spots where the muscles were in spasm. He injected those areas with novicaine. The theory was that after a few treatments the muscles would relax. Unfortunately, I couldn't get her to go back and try a second treatment and she got little results from just one try.

When I had a chronic muscle spasm, for want of a better term, in my temple due to TMJ, my orthodontist wanted me to try having the same treatment to relax the spasm. I told him I just didn't know anyone I trusted enough to inject anything into my temple! The situation finally played itself out but that was about ten years ago so it's still being done, apparently.

I don't know if all this helps, Pam, or muddies the waters but I thought I'd throw it out.

So tell us what's going on in Chicago with the wild and crazy teens?

Re: The above message is supposed to read: For Pam

Kathy G on 5/15/03 at 10:17 (118832)

Sorry!

Re: Carmen

Kathy G on 5/15/03 at 10:18 (118833)

Carmen,

Hope everything calms down and the news is all good for you and your family!

Kathy

Re: Crazy teens

Necee on 5/15/03 at 13:28 (118859)

Yes, the news about the high school girls made it all the way to Texas. I saw the video of that incident, and I was horrified! To think that nobody helped those junior high school girls really saddens me. There were other students there, no adults, yet none of them came to their defense. What has happened to the morals and integrity of our youth today!
In my opinion, what you spend most of your time watching on tv and in the movies, reading and thinking about is what you become.

Happy trails....

Necee

marie on 5/15/03 at 19:03 (118915)

Hazing became a big problem at our schools a few years ago. Our administrators turned their heads away for a long time. But it started to become dangerous and down right discusting. The administrators in the 2 high school really made a point to the kids at the beginning of the school year that if they were caught hazing at all they'd be suspended or worse. Did they listen ,NO. So when they got caught they were suspended. The parents raised a fuss about it just like a few of the parents in Chicago are doing right now. That only makes it worse. It makes the kids appear to be spoiled brats which doesn't help their cause at all.

I wrote a long letter about hazing, bullying and harassment in our schools and it was published in the newspaper. The real problem lies with the parents. The parents withdrew their suits after the letter was published.

Discipline is love. When a child/young adult makes a consceince choice to participate in an activity that is illegal, not to mention immoral they also make the decision to take the punishment. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls were 18....so not only are they in trouble with the school but with the law. Mommy and Daddy can't protect them forever.

Re: Carmen

carmen h on 5/16/03 at 08:05 (118946)

Thank you everyone...we will ind outr more next week.

Kathy G on 5/16/03 at 08:49 (118951)

Oh, this is where the hazing took place. It upset me so much that I have turned the station on the news every time they mentioned it and I never read the articles in the newspaper. I am a real wimp when it comes to any reports of hazing. For some reason, I find it personally very upsetting. I have reached an age where I don't read about or watch things that I know will keep me awake at night. It's not the ostrich syndrome - I think it's called self-preservation.