Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

high heels

Posted by Donna on 5/15/03 at 00:14 (118793)

Have any of you girls got any relief from sandal high heels? B-) The higher the heel the better it feels for me. Plus, your feet can't get all hot inside a sandal! By the end of the day they are still killing,...but better than if I wore a $100 pair of Nike's!

Re: high heels

Richard, C.Ped on 5/15/03 at 08:10 (118812)

when someone tells me that something with a higher heel gives them relief...that always leads me to think about short heel cords. The majority of the time, if we do an orthosis for someone with PF and short heel cords, we add about a 1/4' lift to each orthosis. That usually does the trick.

If you do have short heel cords...every time you take a step going into the toe off phase, this is causing your calcaneous to lift off the ground quicker than normal. This causes stress on the plantar fascia...thus, perhaps, causing PF.

Donna on 5/16/03 at 00:13 (118938)

I have orthodics already. It is higher on the heel definately! But I can't where a closed toe shoe all day, my feet might actually start on fire! So the high heel sandal seems to be the only answer. But it's still a major problem at the end of the day.

It's a good think I live in the West and not the Midwest or East,....What would I do then huh!?

Thanks for the input though,..I will mention it to my Doc

Merci on 7/23/03 at 18:38 (125078)

I read an earlier post about high heels and the comfort felt when wearing high heeled sandals in particular. The response made a reference to 'short heel cords.'

Is there more information out there about heel cords?

I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and I find that high heeled sandals do relieve my effected foot, although 'coming down' after a longish time wearing them can be a little hard. And I have been told that 2 inch heels would be ideal for me....

Before I spend any money (and from the looks of some of the posts, A LOT of money!), any comments?

Much appreicated!

Dorothy on 7/23/03 at 20:18 (125094)

You might try some of the yoga stretches shown on this board before you put your weight on your feet, either with the shoes on or just after removing them but before weight bearing; that might ease the pain a bit of making the transition from an elevated heel to a flatter position.
I think (but I could be very wrong)that 'heel cords' is another term for the Achilles tendons and many people here have pain there as well as PF.