Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery

Posted by SandraF on 5/16/03 at 12:23 (118984)

:-? Well I had surgery 10 days ago on my heel. My podiatrist said he needed to remove 40% of my tendon to remove all spurs and the Hagglunds deformity. I have a dressing on my foot and the doc issued a boot cast big bulking and heavy I can not stand to keep it on my foot It swells up and it hurts so I go most my time w/out it on. it has been 10days now and I can not stand to put any weight on my foot. If I am just sitting around with my foot elevated I do not feel any paid but if I get up and walk around w/cruches no weight on my foot then I get pain it feels like electrical shock going over the top of my foot to my toes and a bad bruse on the bottom of my foot toward the heel. Is this normal? Should I be trying to put weight on the foot? Walking w/out the cruches? any exercises I can do on my own to strenghthen the foot? I need to know if I am beeing a baby about this. I also need to know how long I should expect for recovery and anything I can do to help speed it along with out doing any type of permanent damage to my foot. It has been 10 days is that not long enough?

Re: Post Surgery

dave r on 5/16/03 at 12:31 (118985)

I am not a doctor but i am extremely surprised that your doctor would have you walking around after 10 days. Especially when the achilles is involved. I am pursuing this type of surgery and my doctor has told me that my foot would be in a cast for 6 weeks minimum. I also have a friend that had this done and she had a cast on for 4 weeks with no weight bearing for a total of 8 weeks. Tendons take a rather long time to heal. I fully understand how your foot would swell up inside the cast. But the cast aslo holds your foot in a nuetral position so that the fibers of the achilles can reatach in the correct position. If you are in pain your doctor should be prescribing pain meds.

SandraF on 5/16/03 at 12:40 (118988)

Thank you for your quick reply I have been reading all the post to find one similar to mine and am yet to find one. My Doc did perscibe Vicodin ES7.5MG but it doesn't seem to work just makes me sleepy and itchy but I still feel the pain it is annoying. It is nice to know that the healing time is longer I felt as if I should be walking around already. The doc did not give me the crutches I borrowed them from a friend that is why I assumed that I should be walking on it with the boot cast on but I just can't do it... :(( Did your friend go right back to work? How long was she off and did she have to through PT?

dave r on 5/16/03 at 12:57 (118994)

My friend was off of work for 8 weeks total.Im not sure about pt but i am sure that every doc here would agree that physical therapy would be a very good choice........You should call your doctor and ask what you should be doing.

Re: DOCTORS PLEASE - see Sandra's post

Sharon W on 5/16/03 at 19:54 (119047)

I really don't know much about the surgery you just had, but I just wanted to say I'm surprised your surgeon didn't tell you how long before you should put any weight on your foot. I hope one of the doctors here can tell you what a normal recovery schedule for this would would be like. I would hate for you do put weight on it too soon and do damage to yourself!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/03 at 21:24 (119057)

We want to help but you are at the stage where you should be following your surgeon's orders explicitly. We don't know the details of the procedure so trying to answer you by referring to common scenarios can be misleading. Your surgeon should have answered all of your questions. Please call him or her ASAP with those questions. It sounds that the attachment of the tendon to the back of the heel requires protection so I doubt that the surgeon wants you to be walking without the boot. If the boot is too heavy or uncomfortable, one may consider use of a posterior splint (half cast). I would assume that the dressings have been changed since your surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/03 at 21:26 (119058)

Time off from work depends, to a large extent, on the type of work. I second the recommendation that her doc be called and agree that PT is a good idea.

SandraF on 5/20/03 at 22:42 (119456)

Thank you all for the information I will meet with my Doc on Thursday for removal of dressing and the stitches and ask him at that point. I have not put any weight on the foot it is too painful so I guess your body will tell you what you can and can not do. It has been two weeks today and it feels better as long as I do not do anything once I am up and about w/cruches no weight on foot it swells and is very painful. I am not taking anything but Advil at this point but will request pain meds when I meet with him on thursday. Overall though the operation has taken the constant aching pain away from my calve and feels much better overall. I will keep you posted on thursday...