Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bev & Sharon FCE

Posted by kay on 5/16/03 at 18:51 (119041)

I am replying up here since the other thread was getting buried below.

FCE stands for Functional Capacity Evaluation. It is usually done by Physical Therapist and cost a bundle; usually not covered by insurance. It is to find out what a persons limitations are. With mine it is a modified evaluation because it is only my feet. He said it would take about 4 hours. If they think my feet will last for that long they have another think coming.

How is it done? Treadmill,see how long I can stand it......oh my God! I really do not know what else but it is sure to give me throbbing feet. I feel like my life is in this guys hands!
My husband works for the union in a factory. He said the company sent this woman to a PT for that evaluation to see what she could do, the evaluation said she was faking her pain level. How would they know that? I know they are trained to see if a person is really trying or not. For example if I get on the treadmill he will say go until it really hurts......well I know that it would be less than five minutes of walking before I am really hurting but if I don't try to go longer he may think I am faking it. I don't want that.........so I have to go and go until I cry? I don't know what to do, I am scared and it pisses me off that I will be going home that day in all kinds of pain

My doctor will not sign my disability papers for my factory without this test. That pisses me off too because he is the one that told me not to go back to work there even if the surgery is a success. It wasn't. I had PF and TT surgery. I just had it done on my right foot. My left on is just as bad but I only wanted to do one at a time in case it failed. I have had two surgerys, one in 96 and one last summer. All I want to do is collect what is coming to me from my factory where I worked. I am not trying to get government disability I am going back to school to try to get a sit down job somewhere.
Kay

Re: Bev & Sharon FCE

Bev on 5/17/03 at 16:16 (119124)

Kay,
I have a good one for you. I just got a letter today from workmans comp doctor --- now they say my PF is not workmans comp related and I need psychiatric evaluation for my pain ---- they are really trying to get out of this one. So how do you like that one ?

Sharon W on 5/17/03 at 18:47 (119135)

Bev,

That one BITES! In order for you to get workmen's comp for a (PHYSICAL) repetitive stress injury, you have to be evaluated by a PSYCHIATRIST?? And then, if the psychiatist decides that you're depressed [because your feet are in too bad shape to work, walk, etc.], they will say that your workmen's comp doesn't cover psychiatric disorders, and since this is obviously 'all in your head...'

It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm bet you just want to scream and shout at the top your your lungs!! It sounds to me like you need a lawyer.

Sharon
:(( x-(

Sharon W on 5/17/03 at 18:55 (119136)

Kay,

That sure sounds like a painful test! I would say, it sounds like what they want is for you to 'push yourself' until you're really in pain -- but you probably shouldn't push yourself SO hard that it does any permanent damage to your feet. Treadmills ARE rather brutal on the feet...

Anyway, it sure does NOT sound like fun, and I can see why you're so angry! It really sounds like you got jerked around by that doctor and by the insurance, both. x-(

Please let us know what the FCE was like, and how you think it went.

Sharon
:-s

Bev on 5/18/03 at 12:02 (119190)

Sharon,
The workmans comp people will do anything it takes to get out of a claim, so if it takes ' treating the patient like dirt' they will do it. The doctor I went for workmans comp did say I had PF and that I also do have a neurological disorder of uncertain etiology that needs to be evaluated and that I should followup with ESWT and a pain clinic and so on and so on --- however -- he said that he does not think that my work environment had anything to do with my condition . So he is trying to clear workmans comp of the claim. They have already stated that it is a comp claim so I do not see how he can say it is not now. I guess they can do anything they want in the big old world out there. Us 'little people' have no say so, we can't afford lawyers and they know it. He said the reason I need a psyc exam is cause I have too much pain for my diagnosis (does that make any sense?), so the pain must be in my head, right? I only have the pain when he was touching my feet, if he wouldn't touch them ,then they would not hurt, right? Oh, well, such is life, us little people have no defense in this world .:((

kay on 5/18/03 at 20:39 (119224)

Hello Ladies. I will be sure to come back and let you know how the testing goes. It is scheduled for 4 hours. There is no way in hell that I can last on my feet that long.
Don't feel bad I am waiting for them to send me to a head doctor next. Tell the doc the pain is in your feet, not your head!

Sharon W on 5/18/03 at 22:05 (119225)

Bev,

How much is 'too much pain' for a diagnosis?! How the h--- does HE decide how much pain you're 'allowed' to be feeling, anyway??! It wasn't long ago that I posted an article expalining that they've made a discovery, a SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION for why some people are genetically predetermined to be 'stoic' while others are 'wimps'. You might happen to have the 'wimp' genetic code, but you can't help that and it certainly doesn't make you CRAZY!

AAAaaarrrggh! x-(

When is this bogus psychiatric evaluation supposed to be?? Please let us know how it goes ( -- something tells me you may need to 'vent' a bit after that experience, anyway!)

Sharon
:((

Sharon W on 5/18/03 at 22:08 (119226)

Kay,

I know for sure that there's no way I could survive 4 hours on a treadmill! I had to walk a long way yesterday from the parking lot to get to my daughter's graduation, and my poor tootsies are really suffering! I hope I haven't done any LONG-term, damage, because we're going on a long car trip, starting this Saturday, and I'm the one who has to drive...

Sharon
:(

Sharon W on 5/18/03 at 22:12 (119227)

Bev,

If that guy is so sure you're in too much pain for your diagnosis, maybe he needed to look further for a diagnosis that WOULD explain why you're in so much pain, and not just automatically assume you're a hypochondriac!

OOooh, that makes me mad!

Sharon
x-(

kay on 5/18/03 at 22:34 (119229)

I don't know how I can do any more damage to my feet. To me they couldn't get any worse. I worked in so much pain for so long, I just popped pills, whined and cried and went on with my life. I can't anymore, they have gotten so bad this consumes my life. I know you know what I am talking about.
The test isn't only treadmills, my deliema on this test is do I stop to soon and be called a fake.........do I stay to long on the treadmill even thought the pain is excruitating and then be told I can return to my job if I did that good. Where is the middle?
I have to forget about it until Thursday because I get to upset over not knowing the right thing to do to prove how much pain I have.
I wish my feet would get better so I could just go back to work :(

Bev on 5/19/03 at 07:09 (119236)

Sharon,
They don't want to look for a diagnosis that would match my pain cause then they may find out that comp would be liable and that is just what they are trying to get out of. So I am between a rock and a hard place. We 'little people' are at the mercy of the bureaucracy and we can't do a da-- thing about it. :(( So here we sit at their mercy and they know it :((

Sharon W on 5/19/03 at 07:17 (119237)

Bev,

You really do need a lawyer who's on YOUR side. I'm not fond of what lawyers do, much of the time, but in this case it's absolutely necessary to have a legal advocate speaking up for YOUR interests, and the sooner the better because the more those workmen's comp people get by with unchallenged, the harder it will be to get a fair result for you in the long run.

I know, lawyers are incredibly EXPENSIVE... but so is being refused workmen's comp benefits.

It still makes me mad as heck!

Sharon
x-(

Bev on 5/19/03 at 07:51 (119240)

Sharon,
Yes, I know, I need to start looking into that. I will check into it a little this week and as soon as we get back from our trip I will know more what is going on and then I will plan to 'kick butt' x-(
On another note. I have a question I keep forgetting to ask . When hubby rubs my feet with the aspercream it does help take the pain away a bit, however I do not feel the heat of the camphor and menthol that are in it. When I put it on his feet(he has sore heels too) ,he says it burns and he feels the heat of it, I feel none of that at all on my feet. The doctor said that was a sign of nerve damage that I can not feel that heat. Then why can I feel the slightest feel of pain when my feet are touched (oh, that's right, that is all in my head, right?) /:) Thankyou, Bev :-/

Sharon W on 5/19/03 at 09:36 (119266)

Bev,

No, that is NOT 'all in your head'! Neuropathy does different things to different types of pain receptors. It is quite typical for people with neuropathy to be hyper-sensitive to light touches against the skin, even though other nerve receptors may be numbed.

I have a product called 'biofreeze' that I bought at a medical supply place -- it's great for numbing pain for about 20 minutes or so (but it does have a strong 'mediciny' smell!) Anyway, I used to feel 'cold' on my feet when I rubbed it in... now I don't. I think that is the PN.

I can feel light touch very well with my hands, but I seem to have developed a problem with sensing pressure. (When I grip the steering wheel, for example, I grip too hard and end up with the insides of my hands all red...) Each type of neuropathy is different and has its own symptoms, as I'm sure you know because you've been doing some research on it, too!

Sharon

Kathy L on 5/20/03 at 23:51 (119462)

I don't recall if you said what State you are in. Here in my State, the State has a worker's comp. advocate that will assist you with advice on the phone as long as you don't have an attorney. Check with your State. Additionally, you might talk to a worker's comp. attorney. They'd probably chat for a short while, and tell you whether he can help with various aspects. In this state, after 30 days you can select your own doctor which means you could select the doctor who will be doing the stress test.