Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What does it mean with the thicker the PF is?

Posted by Molly H on 5/17/03 at 11:41 (119093)

Hi. I had shockwave therapy on Wednesday with the Dornier machine. I had it done on both feet. The measured my left PF and it measured a 5. I know normal is 2 but, I am wondering why does it get thicker and what does a 5 indicate?
Also, I am still pretty sore on the bottom of both feet, it is now 3 days post. A friend of mine who also had ESWT on Wednesday (but only in 1 foot) is feeling great NO PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! IS this normal that everyone is different? Does it mean hers was successful and mine was not? Or she just heals quicker than I do?
Thanks to all of you who responded to my earlier post about running after ESWT.

Molly

Re: What does it mean with the thicker the PF is?

Dr. Z on 5/17/03 at 12:08 (119095)

The thickness of the fascia will vary with each patient. Normal is between two and four with three being average. Yes every one is different after ESWT treatment. About 30% of the time there will be no pain post ESWT due to the interference with the local neuro-pain receptors. Most ESWT patients will have gradual improvement over time. Some will take eight to twelve weeks for any significant change from the original pain.
On another note. I am taking a survey of Insurance Carriers that cover ESWT. Would you be so kind as to tell me what insurance carrier paid for your ESWT treatment. I hope that this was helpful

Molly H on 5/17/03 at 18:41 (119134)

My insurance is American Medical Security/Sloans Lake out of Denver, CO.
Thank You for responding to my earlier question but, I was also wondering what does it mean if your plantar fascia is thicker than average?

Dr. Z on 5/17/03 at 19:02 (119138)

Very good questions. If there is pain with the thickness then then then has been inflamation with possible micr-tearing. Very important to a comparison of the opposite foot if it is pain free. I have seen abnormal thickness without any pain.

tammy s on 5/21/03 at 10:33 (119501)

Dr Z
I had ESWT yesterday and My insurance company that covered the procedure, with doctor referal, was Health Partners from Minneapolis. The company that did the procedure is United Shock Wave from Chicago. Tammy