Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF surgury

Posted by jennifer p on 5/17/03 at 17:22 (119128)

It has been 7 weeks since my surgury and my foot still hurts in the arch and the heel and the side of my foot. I went back to work 6 weeks after surgury, the first day i went back i was crying after 4 hours. My concern i might have went back to work to soon! When does scar dissuse develop? my doc. said if scar dissuse develops he would have to go back in and make a bigger incision and this time take the bone spur out, is this normal? what r the symptoms of scar dissuse following EPF? should i be concern about the pain im having in my foot or is it normal? should it still hurt after 7 weeks or will it get better? Im sooooooooooo tired of fighting w/ this!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!!!!!!

Re: EPF surgury

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/17/03 at 17:52 (119131)

Jennifer:
The plantar fascia is a supporting structure of the foot so when it is released, other ligaments in the arch of the foot must take up the work of the plantar fascia. The need for orthotics is often greater after surgery as the orthotics can offer some of the support given up with the fascial release. If your job is sedentary, then you probably did not go back to soon. It is very unlikely that more surgery is necessary. Use of splints to ease you back into standing and physical therapy can help.
Ed

Re: EPF surgury

stefani on 6/02/03 at 15:08 (120742)

Jennifer,

I would like to see how you are doing, as I am in a similar boat. I had the EPF release done on 4/17/03 and returned to work a week later, which I now know was too soon. I am facing the possibility of having a cast put on since I am having so much pain.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.
stefani