Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A thought -

Posted by JudyS on 5/18/03 at 11:28 (119182)

I had a thought this morning that I hope ya'll won't mind me sharing....

I was remembering when Scott shut down the Social board a month or so ago as a result of the very heated political discussion. I remember being very upset that there was talk of having a moderator here as though we were kindergartners.

I'm concerned now that, if Scott gets wind that political discussions are putting off true foot sufferers, he'd be justified in shutting down the social board altogether. I'm pretty sure that new participants are what keeps his sponsors in support of the website.

Re: A thought -

marie on 5/18/03 at 11:48 (119187)

Some things needed to be worked out. There has been some success and some failures. More posts that are not so political....or so contraversal may help us a little. I don't think we should try to control some of the types of discussion folks engage in. But I agree we need to remain a little more positive.

Thanks, marie

john h on 5/18/03 at 12:19 (119193)

Marie you have suggested new topics so how is this one which covers mathmatics,ethics,religion,architecture. 'The Golden Mean'. I bet Carole has heard of this. In ancient times the Greeks called it the universal measure of beauty (The Golden Mean)is the ratio of two successive Fibonacci numbers. It played an important role in Aristotle's philosopy of ethics and according to Aristotle, moderation between two extremes (conservatives and liberals) is the key to acting virtuously. But if followed to strictly can lead to problems. Once a moderate position is taken, it becomes a new extreme on a spectrum between it and the other points. So is the new virtue a 'Golden Mean' between that and one of the two original points.Without rambling on Fibonaci.numbers are a sequence of munber where the previous two produce the third number.and the ration of any two successive numbers is always.1.618033988749894848. This principal is involved in Confucianism, Aristitole's philosopy of ethics, even todays architecture. Search the 'Golden Mean' amd maybe we can all find our Golden Mean.

marie on 5/18/03 at 18:51 (119207)

Hmmm....maybe we're a bunch of sunflowers. I am awful at math but the 'Golden Mean' and Fibonacci numbers are what many of the 3D animation computer programs are based on. So I am familiar with the mysteries of nature. That nature is perfect math.

I remember having a discussion with my son about math and nature when he was twelve. Of course Einstein came up. Einstein felt that anything could be solved mathematically. Being a mathematician and a religious man Einstein set out to find the location of God mathematically. He tried with ernest and spent a good portion of his life trying to unravel this mystery. In the end he was unable to prove that God excisted within our universe. His conclusion was that God was something bigger than our universe.

Well that conversation got my son's mind working. He too decided that there had to be a way too locate God mathematically. At twelve he did not find the answer but he came up with an interesting question that has made many clergy stop to think. It goes like this:

We Know that the concept of 'time' excists in the past, present and future. Has 'time' always excisted? Yes or No. If the answer is 'yes' which came first 'time' or God? If God has always excisted and 'time' has always excisted it seemed to him that the location of God must be associated with the study of 'time'.

What do you think?

marie

john h on 5/18/03 at 19:05 (119208)

It is very interesting and something to consider in that math plays such an important part of ethics,religion and many other subjects. I wonder what Steven Hawkins thinks about on an average day?

marie on 5/18/03 at 20:26 (119221)

I guess being able to walk. After that, he probably debates the merits of M-theory and the idea of an 11-diminsional universe.

john h on 5/19/03 at 08:01 (119242)

More on the Golden Mean. In a study a large group of people were asked to draw a very simple vase on a sheet of 8 x 11 paper. After a few moments they same group were asked to draw exactly the same vase on a legal size piece of paper. In nearly every case the vase on the legal paper was much larger as it is in our nature to draw to scale (the Golde Mean).

marie on 5/19/03 at 08:16 (119247)

Interesting!
Do you know if they were drawing an actual vase or one out of their head?

marie

Re: The Golden Mean and Time Theory

marie on 5/19/03 at 09:44 (119270)

I am posting this link. This is why my son came up with his theory of time and the location of God. At twelve his was not so involved but his question came from the understanding of the golden mean and time theory related to space.

It is very interesting sight for those interested in mathematics.

http://astrologer.ru/article/ggstt.html.en

john h on 5/19/03 at 10:30 (119277)

Marie: Now I remember why I avoided theoratical physics like the plague. Ouch!

john h on 5/19/03 at 10:35 (119279)

Yes, just a plain old vase like a 4th grader might draw. Shape did not matter. The study was to determine if we tend to draw in proportion to size media we are drawing on and so we do.

marie on 5/19/03 at 12:22 (119287)

And that's why God gave me my son, so he could explain all this stuff to me. LOL.

marie

marie on 5/20/03 at 18:22 (119424)

That is interesting because my students often shrink things up to fit on their paper. I have to train them not to do that.....hmmm. Thanks!