Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MS walk!!!! :D

Posted by marie on 5/18/03 at 11:40 (119185)

Well I did it! I walked TWO miles with my hubby at my side. My sons couldn't go...they had to work. I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE IT THE WHOLE COURSE. There were 100's of people there. MS strikes so many different people. There was a young man barely 20 with MS...about 10 of his friends showed up to walk for him. I was so impressed with their act of selflessness. I got a medal which I will send to my brother in North Carolina.

Not only did I walk yesterday but I danced the night away. Some of our friends had a college graduation party for their kids. My hubby and most of our friends are musicians....rock n roll. So of course they rocked the house. I even managed a little head baanging. My feet don't move alot but my head still works.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!

marie

Re: MS walk!!!! :D

JudyS on 5/18/03 at 12:07 (119191)

Rock 'n Roll, Marie? I am sooooooooo jealous\:D/
Good for you on a rewarding day!

Bev on 5/18/03 at 12:31 (119195)

Marie,
WOW, way to go, One day I will be doing that two miles for my daughter-in-law and every one else with MS too :) If you can have such success after PF there is surely hope out there for all of us , right, Marie? So you were walking for us PF'ers as well as the MS patients as well, good for you :) You can be our PF mascot, okay?? Before PF my hubby and I walked the cancer walk for years and worked on it , it was always a nice experience working and walking with all the other people.

Re: Marie

Sharon W on 5/18/03 at 17:41 (119202)

Marie,

How is your brother doing, after his surgery? No complications, I hope?

Sharon

marie on 5/18/03 at 18:00 (119203)

Thanks for asking. He is doing as well as can be. He's pretty out of it with the pain medicine and all. I'm glad my sister and her husband went to NC to help out. My brother's wife has had her hands full with my brother and her parents poor health. She really needed a breather. It will be a while yet before we know if the surgery was successful.

marie

Re: With a little help from my friends........

marie on 5/18/03 at 18:14 (119204)

Bev,
I have TTS and PF. And probably fibromyalgea so the doc saids. It has been great to feel normal enough to do some simple things that we all take for granted....like standing in a check out lane. I still can't stand in a long line but I can bare wieght for about 10-15 minutes now. I am doing a combination of things and it seems to be working. Neurontin, elavil, vitamin c, MSM, glucoamin, magnesium, ice and the thing that's helped the most is progesterone cream (menopause formula). I don't know why it works but it has helped alot. And oh yeah....Birkenstock shoes. Also I am avoiding stressful obligations.

Thanks so much for all the emotional support! I don't think I could have made it through the last two years without the help of the folks here on the board.

You're right....I walked for you guys too! But I don't want to be a mascot if I have to wear a chicken suit...LOL. :D

Later, marie

john h on 5/18/03 at 19:06 (119209)

I did not walk Saturday Marie as I took the cats to the vet but I went for a 5K walk today and my feet are ok at the moment.

Sharon W on 5/18/03 at 20:18 (119219)

Marie,

I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

Meanwhile -- I can hardly wait for the big American Idol finale! Who do you think will win? Clay had a poor enough showing last week, I really do have my doubts... and yet he has one of the nicest voices I've heard from a male singer in ages!

Sharon
:x

marie on 5/18/03 at 20:28 (119222)

SOOOOOOOO.......good to hear. How is Mary doing? I hope well.

marie

Bev on 5/19/03 at 06:38 (119234)

Marie,
You won't have to wear a chicken suit - just a 'big sore - foot suit' , you will look so very adorable :D. Okay, now question time, I am confused (not hard for me). You say that you have a hard time being able to just bare weight for 10-15 minutes and that you have the 'big 3' TTS, PF, and Fibro. How, if you are unable to bare wt. are you able to walk 2 miles, teach, and dance, work, and do all that you do ? You must be a wonder woman /:) I am really feeling like a bum here :-s . Also, how much and in what way do you contribute the progesterone cream in your progress ? How long have you had all of this? How long did it take to get diagnosed and on your way to 'living' again? I know you were using a scooter for awhile , right? How long did you need that? Sorry to be such a pest , but you have become my 'hero' now that you have walked that marathon :> Thankyou, Bev :'>

john h on 5/19/03 at 07:50 (119239)

Mary is doing fine. A bit fiesty and demanding but so is life.

marie on 5/19/03 at 08:14 (119246)

It's standing still that is my biggest problem. I can stand for about 10-15 minutes before I begin to feel it. For a long time I would panic after 5 minutes because of the pain.....plus my legs would tire. For a while I couldn't walk more than 10 feet at a time. I had to crawl up the stairs at home and I used the elevator at school because everything is upstairs.

I started on neurontin last summer but had a major set back in late august after a lumbar puncture. Finally my doc and I got serious last Dec. He increased the neurontin and put me on a low dose of elavil. I had a significant improvement. I did alot of research...this site helped. Since I am early menopausal I began to read and find info on a possible relationship between some of my problems and hormones. I do not take oral hormones.

I decided to try the progesterone cream while I was buying vitamins one day. I thought what the heck. I noticed a remarkable improvement. Especially with spasticity. All I can say is when I go a few days without it I notice that my legs tighten and I have a little more swelling around my ankles. I also started wearing compression socks and tights which helped alot.

Support, patience and daily distractions have also helped.

I hope I have answered your questions.

marie

marie on 5/19/03 at 08:28 (119250)

I'm for Clay!!! I think the top four will all do well.

marie

Sandra D on 5/19/03 at 08:48 (119257)

Marie, I have enjoyed reading your responses on this web site. I just found it about 3 months ago and I have to visit everyday. I am from North Carolina alos. I read where you said you would sent your award to your brother and wonder where he lives. I am about 15 miles north of Charlotte.
Sandra D

marie on 5/19/03 at 09:49 (119272)

He lives in Mint Hill. I think it is on the soutn side as I recall.

I love Charlotte! B-) Are you rooting for Clay on American Idol?

marie

john h on 5/19/03 at 10:32 (119278)

Sandra D: Every time you post I keep thinking about Sandra Dee. Did she not sing It's My Party and I'll Come If I Want to?

john h on 5/19/03 at 12:44 (119288)

I meant to post 'it is my Party and I'll Cry if I want to'

Kathy G on 5/19/03 at 15:52 (119302)

Nope, John. Among my wealth of useless information, I remember that it was Leslie Gore who sang that song. Sandra Dee was the blonde who was in some terrible movies back in the early sixties. I actually was too young:'> to see any of them but I have seen bits of them on television. I don't know if the girl had any talent and was mismanaged or what the story was.

john h on 5/19/03 at 18:58 (119324)

How right you are Kathy. Leslie Gore it was. I still play those old goodies. Yes Sandra I think made all those silly beach movies. Of course we were all sort of goofy in the 60's. At least I never wore a leisure suit or had long hair (not allowed in military). I did drive a VW however and that 50HP engine could rock and roll.

Kathy G on 5/20/03 at 09:28 (119359)

Oh, my sister had a light blue VW bug. In 1968, while her husband was in Vietnam, she got an apartment in our town. I was nineteen at the time and as our family had only one car, I didn't get to drive very often. I had a ball in that bug of hers! She drove it from California to NH after her husband left for Nam. After he returned, they were stationed in Hawaii. That car lasted for about fifteen years!

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was my mother the first time she took the car. Remember how the shifting pattern was different on a VW? Well, my mother made a diagram only she could understand and set out. I glanced out the window to see her sitting in the driveway, attempting to shift the car, holding the paper in between her teeth. She finally mastered it and was off in a cloud of dust. And I really mean that because my mother drove like a bat out of hell!!

The sixties were an interesting time. So many changes took place in that decade. I look back at it in wonder now because I don't think we were aware of what we were involved in. And I wasn't even a flower child - just a straight-laced, college student, working and attending college while living at home. Oh, but the music and the attitude that we could save the world. It was quite exhilarating!

Sandra D on 5/20/03 at 12:18 (119379)

No Lesley Gore sang Its my Party and I'll Cry if I want to. Sandra Dee was an actress. A cute little blond. I'm a cute little brunette with PF.