Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ice vs. heat

Posted by Dave T on 5/18/03 at 22:45 (119230)

Good day. I have had heel pain (planter faciitis) for over 7 months now. I first contacted a chiropractor and he thought one leg was longer than the other and that I also had back problems. ???? His diagnosis was fasiitis and treated my back as much as my foot. He used acupuncture and ultrasound. After 10 visits he thought I should be fine. I gave up on him.

I am now going to a phisiotherapist for the past 2 months.This gentleman stresses heat not ice. He also uses stretching combined with strength training. Not much has changed.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
I gave up running and still mountain bike. The pain is tollerable.
Regards------ Dave T

Re: ice vs. heat

Terri on 5/19/03 at 08:40 (119252)

Hi Dave,
I was told heat to stretch then ice for the inflamation. So I guess both. I have been dealing with this for the past 3 years. Good luck, Terri

Re: ice vs. heat

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/19/03 at 15:10 (119297)

In my practice I have gone back and forth with this issue for years, and my preference is for ice. Ice has an analgesic effect as well as an anti-inflammatory effect. I believe that heat initially feels soothing, but I'm an advocate of the use of ice, not heat. I believe in the use of ice following stretching and exercising or when there is pain. My colleague Dr. Z recommends heat following ESWT, but your question didn't address ESWT. Final answer----I prefer ice 20 minutes/hour.