Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Larry S on 5/19/03 at 09:42 (119268)

I would like to hear from those who have undergone surgical treatment for plantar faciitis. How long were you off your feet. How long to get back to normal activity. Any side-effects. Was it a simple or complicated process.

PS I am a private person with absolutely no connection to any commercial product. Please do not answer unless you are also a private person with personal or close experience with someone who has gone through the surgury.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Rick R on 5/19/03 at 17:55 (119316)

I had a rather complete relief which was anticipated to take 30 min and took 90min. I had a great deal of scar tissue and a major bone spur removed (at the age of 40). The incision is on the inside, side of the heal to avoid a scar on the load bearing surface. I was on crutches placing no load at all on the heal for 1 month. After that I was walking but nothing to aggressive, and pain free, even in the morning. I waited 6 months to even test things out with a little light jogging. I didn't get back to much of anything for 1 year. Then gradually I got back to 5 miles a day. This was achievable only by continuing to stretch, tape and 'budget.' By budget, I mean I could run if I didn't do other strenuous things. While coaching baseball if I run around like a fool (pretty much can count on that) with the kids I need to take it easy and slack off running. I learned that if I had an unticipated day of standing on my feet, such as the 6 hours I stood around waiting for my daughter to get her driver's licence,I had to back off. That cost me about 3-4 days. Had I taped up I may have been ok.

I'm back on the bench now after a good 5 years of running after surgery. My work schedule cranked up to 70+ hour weeks much of it on my feet and lots of travel. I also had some major back spasms so I backed way off and finally quit for 9 months. I'm having a tough time getting back. I need to build up gradually and consistantly. It's been so long I can't quite gauge if I'm worse off than when I started back up 1 year after surgery.

I still consider my surgery a major success. At the time there were less options. I haven't quite figured out if all of the optimism for EWST expressed on this site is from a purely objective point of view. No doubt I would/will look into it before taking the surgery option. It may be an option for me in the near future if I can't get it going again soon. I probaly won't know until Late fall or winter when I can count on a more regular opportunity to run.

Good Luck!!

Larry S on 5/20/03 at 15:22 (119396)

Thanks for the prompt reply Rick. I went to a new foot doctor today and he recommended giving non-surgical another try. He gave me another shot, recommended a different insert for my shoes and prescribed a new NSAID but seems to pooh pooh stretching and didn't mention splinting.

I don't have any visible problem (via Xray) with my foot - just the heel soreness which gets aggravated if I don't walk toe-first or if I stand on my feet for any length of time - my problem may be different from yours to some degree just because I am 70 years old, have always had tender feet and am about 50 pounds over weight. I have had to wear cushion inserts in my shoes for the last 20 years.

It still seems to me that I want to avoide surgery if at all possible.

Tnaks again for the prompt reply. Larry S

Linda on 5/26/03 at 20:59 (119982)

I had plantar fascia release in 1994, then again in 2001 on my right foot.
After the first time, i was on crutches for a week,and back to work right away.
The last time i had fascia release done,i also had tarsal tunnel release,and heel spur excisions.
I would never ever recommend either surgery to anyone. It really is bad this time,and i haven't fully healed. I have chronic heel pain,and my fascia feels twice as tight as before the surgery.
Try non surgical methods first.

Larry S on 5/27/03 at 08:05 (119995)

Thanks for your reply Linda. The information I am getting, even from the last foot surgeon I went to agrees with you. Try non-surgical first with surgical only as the last course of action. The foot surgeon I went to, however, did not thnink that the various splints and so forth were worth pursuing. Anyone have experience with those? Larry S

Linda on 5/27/03 at 08:07 (119997)

I had,and still have my night splints,but they didn't really make a difference for me,and I think they are useless,but that is only my opinion

Lauren M on 5/27/03 at 13:20 (120039)

I had open PF surgery done in January and am still healing 5 months later. I built up a lot of scar tissue and was in Physical therapy for 3 months. Make sure your doc reccomends therapy. I was not allowed to get the foot wet until stitches were out. I wore the boot/soft cast for two months and was not allowed to drive with it. I'm doing much better, but still swollen and tender in the heal after a few hours of walking. My friend said it took her a good year to fully heal. Every day gets better. Good Luck

Larry S on 5/28/03 at 10:12 (120134)

Thanks Linda, that was helpful info. Larry S

Larry S on 5/28/03 at 10:14 (120135)

Thanks for your reply Lauren, it looks more and more that suregery should be the last option for me. Larry S