Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Info on SSD for TTS

Posted by Margie on 5/19/03 at 11:16 (119284)

I have had my TTS surgeries in early 2000 on both feet, first: Feb.- second: May. A year ago my dr. diagnosed me to have permanent damage to both posterior tibial nerves, failing to response to max. efforts at conservative therapy and surgeries. The pain is also now in both legs and upper legs causing major pain when I sit for longer than 10 minutes at the most. I have been trying to get disability for over a year being denied everytime. My lawyer has filed a review now. I would so much appreciate any information on this medical disability. The doctors and judges do not understand what TTS is and how limited you can become, not to mention depressed. I am only 40 yrs. old, before I had TTS I was very active and worked very hard as a whse. supervisor, (walking at a very fast pase, to keep production numbers down) for 12yrs. before that I was a roller skating carhop and manager for a Sonic Drive In.
Please anyone with any information would be so appreciated.

Re: Info on SSD for TTS

BrianG on 5/19/03 at 22:47 (119339)

Hi Margie,

You have one thing thing working against you, your age. I'm not saying it's right, but the older you are, the easier it is to get approved for SSD. Is you doctor backing you 100% ? That is propably the most important factor, followed by an excllent disability attorney.

For your part, you will have to document how the TTS and chronic pain has changed your life. I would advise you to keep records of everything you cannot do, how the pain is effecting you, how your family life, and friends are effected. I'd also start a pain journal, to let your doc and lawyer know exactlly how you are doing.

Lastly, it will be in your favor if you have more than one ailment. Most peple who have chronic pain also have depression. If you do have it, make sure that your taking meds for it. Document, document, document, you can never have too much information!!

There are also some good books available that can assist you in getting approved, I'd advise getting one. It's a small price to pay, overall.

Good luck, it can be done !!!!

Margie on 5/22/03 at 13:55 (119666)

Thank you Brian for your input. I have gone through all of those steps you have mentioned and the Dr. says he will help in any way he can. SSD sent me to a dr. that verified that I am very depression and he thinks it is making my pain worse. Then they deny my claim and add many things that are not true and were not proven in no way in my case. In other words lied about most of the finds. I am hoping my lawyer is a very good one, guess we will see. I just think information on TTS to explain to ones who are making a judgement could understand.
P.S. Have you heard of either of this two problems:
TTS effecting upper legs and causing major pain after sitting for only a few minutes?
And my legs jump in different places all the time?
Looking forward to hear your come back,
Thanks again,

angelas on 5/23/03 at 23:24 (119792)

I was diagnosed with TTS and when I would sit for just a short time my legs would go numb and my feet would hurt a lot more. It didn't happen all the time though and has stopped for now. Now just the back on my legs( behind the knees hurt).

BrianG on 5/24/03 at 22:30 (119851)

Hi Margie,

Sorry, but I haven't had to deal with TTS, or the 'jumping nerves'. If people are lying, make sure you keep records of everything that happens. You can never have too many records. Believe me. I'd even record what I took for the pain, even if it's OTC.

Are you taking prescription meds for your pain, and the depression? I think it's important that you do. The book I bought is called, 'Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability'. You can get it at a book store, or Amazom.com

Lastly, I'd like to give you a really good web site where you can get almost every question answered. I can't tell you how much it helped me out! This web site is a message board, hosted by Mass Gen Hospital, in Bostn, Ma.

Type in: http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ultimate.cgi

This will bring you to the main page. Click on the first of three items, it will be named 'General Subjects' Once that open a new page, scroll down until you get to 'Social Security Disibility' Click on that title, and it'll open the message board your looking for. Liam is the resident expert, trust me. You can believe any advice he gives!!

If you have any problems loging into this web site, just drop me a note, and I'll send you the link directly.

Good luck,
BrianG: (email removed)

PS: You can read the MGH message boards, but have to register to post any questions.

BrianG on 5/24/03 at 22:39 (119853)

Hi Marge,

Guess I was too tired when I wrote the message. The link won't work, and my e-mail address is wrong. Send me an e-mail to (email removed) and I'll make sure you get the MGH link.

Too tired!