Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Renée Zellweger has PF!

Posted by IanJ on 5/19/03 at 19:35 (119330)

Renée Zellweger was on David Letterman last week and told him how she has had PF for the past year but hadn't done anything about it. She runs 3 miles / day and it's gotten worse so she was scheduled for surgery.

Dave told her that he had heard the best thing for PF is to take it easy for 2 years and it would go away on it's own and that surgery would make her walk like a goat! Yeah Dave!!

Although surgery may be appropriate for some people, I was surprised to hear Renée was going for the surgery without trying any other treatments. I was going to write her, if I could find an email for her (not that she would listen to a stranger) but Dave saved the day. Hopefully she'll listen to him.

Re: Renée Zellweger has PF!

Rachael T. on 5/19/03 at 21:09 (119333)

I, too, have seen Renee Z. on tv interviews talking of her PF....I heard her say once on Jay Leno's show that she had shots & tapings...& was at that time, taped (but was also wearing hi-heels!). I have also heard her with Barbara Walters saying--that after these movies were done this year, she was going to prop her feet up & read some books & take some downtime. Maybe she is wanting to do that in order to try to heal her feet! (w or w/o surgery)

Rachael T. on 5/19/03 at 21:28 (119335)

hmm, Just wondering.....do you think Renee Zelweger frequents this site & has now read about herself on this board?
& another note.....I saw her latest movie DOWN WITH LOVE this past Sat. night....& it was grrrreat! I don't know how she manages to run & dance like she does w/ PF pain! I want to see her doctor!!!! (-:

carmenh on 5/20/03 at 08:08 (119352)

She makes a zillion dollars...If I had those $$ signs in my head while dancing I would be able to do anything too!
ha

Re: Golfer Vijay Singh also had it...

R C on 5/20/03 at 08:22 (119353)

PGA Tour golfer Vijay Singh, who won the EDS Byron Nelson Championship last weekend, also has bouts of PF. The last instance that was publicized took place sometime last year, when Singh took something like 3 weeks off from tournament play. I seem to recall that he got cortisone shots. After that he has apparently been fine, even though golf can take a toll on the feet, because of the powerful weight shift and push-off required for a golf swing. Singh is legendary for his practice regimen, which involves hitting several hundreds of practice balls daily. I wish I knew how he was able to recover so quickly and completely. Anybody out there have insights?

Re: About Vijay and Renee

Kathy G on 5/20/03 at 09:17 (119356)

And there was a baseball player who had it, too. He played for the Red Sox and got traded to someone else. Can you tell I don't follow baseball very closely? Anyway, last season, my son said he'd been out for a while with it.

Don't you think some of these people get a shot of cortisone prior to their performances and then suffer the pain afterwards? I often wonder about the longterm damage they may be doing to their bodies. But, as Carmen says, considering the money they're making, they may think it's worth it. And both Vijay and Renee are in professions where if you take some time off, you may never get another chance.

I heard an interview with the Renee's voice coach on NPR. He was the one who was responsible for 'teaching' her to sing for 'Chicago.' He said that she was ready to quit and that one day, she broke early and said she was going to the gym to relax. When he questioned her, she said that she could exercise for hours and she was positively addicted to it. He made a deal with her that if she'd do the vocal exercises, he'd do sit-ups at the same time. That's how he convinced her into staying with the project.

So, maybe if she's totally addicted to physical exercise, she's desperate enough to try surgery.

As for Singh, who knows? The man is amazingly dedicated and practices for hours.

Either we all need their doctors or we all need the promise of a million dollar career to keep us motivated!

monte on 5/20/03 at 09:25 (119358)

Hi...I think it was John Valentin who went from Boston to the Mets. He suffered with it for a while and missed alot of playing time.

Alot of athletes get it and have to play it down because it can hinder their careers. No one will want to trade for them either.

But Renee and others in that financial situation, have the wherewithall to sit back and rest in between jobs and not go broke.

I saw Carl Lewis on TV last night...and I remembered that he had it and had surgery and won a gold medal.

john h on 5/20/03 at 11:29 (119371)

I know a number of NBA players including Corliss Williamson, Scottie Pippin, Joe Klein, etc as they are from Arkansas and work out at the same club I do. They tell me there are many NBA players with PF and nearly everyone wears orthotics. Most will not tell management as it can effect their contracts so they get it treated privately.

john h on 5/20/03 at 11:32 (119373)

I am not so sure that money will cure PF no matter how much you have. The most expensive treatment out there is ESWT and surgery and how many of us have tried that and not been cured. Rest is not the answer. Money does keep the bill colectors away form your door when you lose your job but the rich and poor all face the same problem when it comes to curing foot problems. Ask Bill Walton.

john h on 5/20/03 at 11:40 (119376)

Rachel if we weighed about 100 lbs and were that young we could do a lot of things.

Sharon W on 5/20/03 at 12:09 (119378)

kathy,

I think it's the zillion dollars...

Sharon
:)

Dorothy C. on 5/20/03 at 16:24 (119404)

What about Bill Walton?

john h on 5/20/03 at 17:10 (119412)

One of the great NBA players of all time had his playing days cut short because of his feet. PF was just one of the problems.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/03 at 20:10 (119438)

I have no idea who she is but it sounds like she could buy her own ESWT unit.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/03 at 20:15 (119440)

John:
I am not sure I agree with early use of ESWT but I do think that a number of patients need more than the ration of two high power ESWT. Some of the celebs could buy their own ESWT unit and zap their feet several times until healed.

Ed

Re: Another celebrity with chronic pain

Sharon W on 5/20/03 at 22:53 (119457)

Carmen,

Another example of a celebrity with chronic pain: I saw on Dateline tonight that Paula Abdul (the ex- pop diva, now American Idol 'critic') was forced to stop working for 6 1/2 YEARS because of 3 messed up disks in her back. She had like 10 surgeries -- and it was only this last one, that FINALLY relieved her pain... Watching her talk about it, I really felt for her -- all those years of 'invisible' pain.

I had always just assumed Paula Abdul had run out of creative ideas and disappeared from the pop charts, like so many others. I'm glad that hers turned out to be a success story!

As John H (I think?) said recently, back pain is a lot like PF. People who haven't experienced chronic 'invisible' pain, don't really understand how bad it can be or what it can do to a person's life.

Sharon
@};-

Re: Another celebrity with chronic pain

john h on 5/21/03 at 08:40 (119481)

Sharon I watched the story on Paual Abdual last night. Amazing. 10 back surgeries including fusions and a metal rod in her back and she is now pain free for the most part and back to doing choregraphy. I thought she was an original and amazing dancer and glad to see her out of pain for the most part. Apparently a smart lady also. President of her class. She looked thinner than I remember her but after what she has been through I am not surprised. The Billy Joel piece was interesting also.

john h on 5/21/03 at 08:45 (119483)

Ed she won an Oscar for her role in the recent movie 'Chicago'. Great dancer.

monte on 5/21/03 at 14:21 (119525)

Ian

Didn't you have PF pains in your arches too? Are you feel better now? Did the arches get better?
Monte

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/03 at 21:19 (119582)

John:

I guess that is what happens when my primary exposure to the media is watching Veggie Tales with my kids.

Ed

monte on 6/05/03 at 09:37 (121024)

Renee was on Entertainment Tonight and she was leaning on someone while being interviewed and the interviewer asked her if she was OK and how her foot was. The camera didn't show her foot and Renee said thanks for letting everybody know, the interviewer said, 'But I see you are wearing that thing on your foot'.
Maybe a CAM walker or maybe surgery?