Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Kathy( and friends) Kids with mono and broken foot!!!!

Posted by Pam S. on 5/20/03 at 13:34 (119387)

Thx for taking the time to answer, Kathy!!! My daughter sounds pretty bad and she is all the way out in CA. I live in Chicago!!!!! Her glands and throat are so swollen (she has mono for my friends who have not read my post) they put her on a low dose of predisone so she can swallow. I had no idea mono was so painful. Finals are in two weeks. She is hysterical. She goes to a small school so thank goodness they are understanding. She has e-mailed her profs.

How long do you think the recovery will take. Should she not have a summer job.

My 14 year old is in a walking cast with a fractured foot from running track. Oh what a great week this is. She is not in alot of pain and she sort of likes wearing the boot because she is getting alot of attention from her friends. That is what it is all about, right?

We are just off to a great start for the summer... right.

Who wrote about that cabin life. Sounds pretty good to me right now. I am a slave to my house etc. I like my life but we all try to do too much.

I think the dinner club sounds like alot of fun. You would only have to stand and cook one dish. I know how you feel about volunteering. I am burned out too. I am taking piano lessons because I feel like I am going brain dead.

My college daughter is on VICODEN for pain. Can you believe that. These kids just drink after each other all the time. They do not get enought sleep or eat right. She also gained ALOT of weight this year. I cannot wait to get her home. Any tips for speedy mono recovery???? We can get our minds off of our feet HA

Please do not tell me she should not be on the predisone. It is just very short term to get the swelling down so she can swallow. How miserable. My internist (DR 'Town and Country' (magazine) said to do that. I am being funny... get it. OK i will stop now.... Thanks!!!!

Re: To Kathy( and friends) Kids with mono and broken foot!!!!

JudyS on 5/20/03 at 15:45 (119400)

Pam, my son's girlfriend had a very serious case of Mono last year - she was in a great deal of pain and also used Prednisone. She was sick for about two months and, thankfully, my son did not get sick. Where in CA is your daughter? Perhaps I could go take care of her!

Pam S. on 5/20/03 at 17:06 (119411)

Judy:
She is at Santa Clara. I think I am going to have to go out there. She sounds just awful. She cannot talk her throat is so swollen. I am getting more upset every time I talk to her. I cannot stand not being with her. Do you blame me? Where do you live?

There is not much we can do for mono. Two months WOW I wonder if she will be able to take finals in two weeks...no way. She has worked so hard this quarter...

I do not know how people handle it who have seriouly sick kids.

Thank you so much for your nice words. I may leave tomorrow. Pam

JudyS on 5/20/03 at 17:41 (119417)

Pam, I am in San Diego. Your daughter is about 8 hours north of me by car. I seriously do wish she was much closer so I could just put her in my guest room for some TLC!
I assume that, if you go, you will fly in to San Jose. If so, I would love to put you in touch with my son's girlfriend's mother there who is a real dear and could advise you accordingly.
My email is judith . (email removed).

marie on 5/20/03 at 17:53 (119420)

Oh Pam,

Mono is nothing to mess around with. I am glad to hear you're going out.
I didn't realize from your first post how far away she was. If necessary you may want to contact her teachers. I'm sure she isn't the first student to get sick at the end of the term. Is she in the dorm? Do they have an infermitory or health care facility on campus? Is someone with her...a room mate?

I've had alot of students with mono...it does take at least 2 months. I am glad summer is coming up so she can build up her strength. I wouldn't worry about work right now.

take care,
marie

Pam S. on 5/20/03 at 20:23 (119442)

Thank you all for your concern. My daughter has a nice roommate who even washed her sheets!!! She has great friends. SCU is a small school with alot of caring people there. I think I will leave on Fri. so I can wrap a few things up here.

Do you all think I would be in danger of catching mono? I am very careful with my fibro not to get sick and so forth. My husband does not really have time but he would go. I think I had rather have him go and move her out of the dorm later on. Yes, there is an infirmary but they do not seem to think she needs to be in there. She is drinking alot so that is good (her friends told me.) It is just a helpless feeling not to be with your kids when they are sick, isn't it. I am not ready for her to be THAT grown up!!!

Kathy, thank you for your offer. I also have friend whose brother is a dr. who lives in San Jose. I am sure we will be covered. I will e-mail you if I feel the need. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Re: I meant to say thank you JUDY!!

Pam S. on 5/20/03 at 20:25 (119443)

Judy, I am getting mixed up on who said what and I am not sure how to look at the other messages as I type my message!!! You are a doll thank you!!!

Re: Pam, I'm sorry about your daughter being sick...

Suzanne D on 5/21/03 at 06:46 (119471)

Dear Pam,

I am so sorry to read about your daughter having mono and being far from you away in college. I think you are making the right decision to go out there to see about her.

As for her taking prednisone, my 22 year old daughter has been on that more times than I would like to count for bad cases of bronchitis or bronchial pneumonia. (Unfortunately, she inherited her father's predisposition to upper respiratory problems and allergies.) But she has always taken it on a short-term basis and always tapered off on the medication as prescribed. I'm sure your daughter's doctor will have her do the same. It has been explained to me that it helps the tissues heal more rapidly, so I hope it helps her throat quickly.

My husband had pneumonia near the end of a semester in college and was hospitalized for almost two weeks. It was also a small college, and the professors were understanding and let him submit some work late. I hope that will be the case for your daughter.

As for you catching mono, a doctor told me once that people over 30 rarely contract mono. I was concerned at the time as my daughter was tested for it (turned out to be negative), and I thought if her father got it, he could have a hard time recuperating. That's what the dr. said to me, so maybe that will make you feel better. I hope that was a true statement. Come to think of it, I've known several teens who had mono, and none of their parents got sick.

Best wishes for you and your daughter! You're right: it's hard to stay healthy or get well on a college campus. I remember having the flu while I was away in college and being SO sick. But good friends can be a real help, and it sounds as if she has those on her side.

Take care! Please keep us posted on how your daughter is getting along.
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 5/21/03 at 09:37 (119495)

Pam,

Taking prednisone occasionally throughout life for viable reasons is nothing to worry about. It is an amazing drug and it takes a long time for serious side effects to become a problem, even for those with conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis who take it regularly. It is a tremendous drug and should help the swelling in her throat considerably.

Let's see, my son had mono when he was eight. That was twenty-one years ago. My daughter was a year old at the time and had a serious ear infection. I had bronchitis. I chose to bring him to our local, small-town GP instead of his pediatrician. The doctor said his case was quite severe but he'd rather keep him home rather than send him to the hospital. He sent me home with tongue depressors and told me to keep checking his throat to make sure it didn't start to close up. Would you believe the doctor called me twice during the night and once the next morning? Boy, have times changed!!

It was a long night - my husband had just started a new job and I didn't want to alarm him by telling him how sick our son was as he had to work the next couple of days. Well, his throat was terribly sore but it didn't close up and he got better each day. He complained quite a bit about how sore his spleen was and the doctor said that wasn't unusual, as one's spleen enlarges when they have mono. The spleen is located high in the solar plexus, kind of right below the ribs, and over to the left. I haven't checked an anatomy book but that's where I remember his pain was. So don't be surprised if she mentions it's hurting.

My son bounced back incredibly fast and his big concern was that he couldn't participate in sports or gym for a few weeks because they had to make sure his spleen was back down to normal. He never suffered any bouts of sleepiness but he is, like me, a person who requires little sleep and actually has trouble sleeping at night. My problem was trying to keep him down! I'd say he missed maybe three weeks of school but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong.

When my daughter got it in 1999, her case wasn't as severe in that her throat wasn't as sore and her spleen didn't hurt that much. She slept more than usual but not as much as some of her friends who have had it.

Every case and patient is unique. Everyone I know who has had it (my sister had it when she was in college and I remember it well) is very sick for the first few days and then gets better surprisingly fast. The tired, run-down feeling is the long lasting symptom that tends to linger, but how long varies from person to person.

Now, as for your health, I don't think you should worry. Mono isn't that contagious. Just don't use any of her dishes or glasses and don't kiss her as saliva is one of the ways it's transmitted. The doctor wasn't concerned that I'd get mono but he did put a quarantine of sorts on my son, because he was wide open for infection so he didn't want any visitors to the house. Remember that was twenty years ago so that might have changed. The doctor didn't mention it where my daughter was concerned but as I said, her case was much less severe.

I would take a positive approach and let her look for a summer job. She may not have any problems this summer. If it doesn't work out, she can always stop working. She may be fine once she comes home and gets back on a bit of a schedule and gets regular rest. I don't know about others but my children never got off 'college time' completely when they came home from college but they did have to go to bed earlier just because they had a job. And they ate regular meals because Mumsy was here to cook for them!

Don't worry about her finals. When my daughter got sick during finals, she was given until mid-term the next semester to take them or hand in the final paper or whatever the course required. It has been my finding that college professors are much more understanding than our local high school teachers. Not only that, college professors see mono all the time.

And I'll bet that she is being very well cared for by her roommate and others on the floor. The maternal juices start flowing and most sick kids get great care! My daugher's roommate was misdiagnosed by Health Services at UNH with a urinary tract infection during this school year and it was my daughter who insisted on bringing her to the emergency rooom of the local hospital and who cared for her while she was sickest. Her mother never even came to see her! But that's a story for another time. Anyhow, they are a pretty close-knit group, college kids, and they watch out for each other.

This is long but since I've had quite a bit of experience with mono, and college students, I wanted to share with you what I know.

Don't worry and have a safe trip!

Pam S. on 5/21/03 at 18:44 (119555)

Thank you so much, Kathy. That was very helpful information. I am leaving in the morning. Now she does not want me to come because her best friend from another school is arriving today, along with other 'friends'. I think I will be IN THE WAY.

I am so behind so I need to dash. The health office gave her an IV this afternoon. I really feel it is right for me to go even thou she has lots of friends around her.

You all are wonderful gals. Warmly, Pam