Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel surgery

Posted by Ray B on 5/20/03 at 18:50 (119429)

I have been suffering for the last couple of years with pain in my foot that would travel up my leg & the bottom of my foot & toes would go numb. I went to many doctors before someone finally sugested I may have tarsal tunnel - she sent me to see a surgeon as she said cortosone shots are too painful & my pain was too intense, she figured it had gone past the point of cotosone being helpful. I had my surgery this morning & wanted to get a general idea about how long I can expect to be off of work? I work in a heavy metal factory & I'm on my feet in heavy work boots for 12hrs or more a day, I don't figure I'll be getting back to work very soon? I look forward to not walking on 'pins & needles' once I have healed!
R.B.

Re: tarsal tunnel surgery

Linda P. on 5/20/03 at 20:43 (119451)

Hi Ray,
I came on this web sight about a month ago and saw JoAnn M. was going to have surgery around the same time as me (Linda P.) Now it great to go thru this with someone who is feeling the same. So please us below. I will try and help you thru the next few weeks if you would like. As so many others do on here, it is a great sight. We both had surgery about 3 weeks ago, I have yet to touch the ground with my foot... You should ask your doctor what he thinks, but from what i have read on this site, it is a long haul...I am suppose to go back to work next week, I dont see how...Remembering back to the day of surgery and the 2 days after, I felt no pain....THEN!!! the pain came with a vengence... so keep your foot up and keep the ice going... keep in touch...it does get better:)

Ray B on 5/20/03 at 22:20 (119453)

Thanks for the support Linda, I'm dealing with the pain pretty good but I only had my surgery today so the next couple of days should be exciting! I will try to keep in touch, any help along the way is greatly appreciated! What are/were you taking for pain? My Dr. prescribed demerol for the first 3 days & then tylenol w/codeine
Ray

Linda P. on 5/21/03 at 07:59 (119477)

Hi Ray,
Hopefully you will keep the pain in check...I started out with 20 Percocet and then to loracet(spelling?), which did not agree with me...bad headaches and stomach problems, after that I just went to Motrin, seems I was doing 3 every 3 hours or so...On the 14th day I began celebrex, didnt seem to help enough so went back to Motrin for a few more days, now have been on Celebrex for 3 days, still think Motrin is better, but am going to follow Doctors orders till I see her again next week. I wish you a speedy recovery...keep the foot UP!!:) Keep in touch when you can..

Mary K. on 5/21/03 at 10:39 (119502)

I had surgery 5-8-03 for tarsal tunnel syndrome. They found varicose veins that had wrapped like a hand around the nerve and the vein when they went in. I came home, took pain pills for 2 days that made me sick. Since then I've been on advile - 2 in the morning and 3 at nite. I must be very tolerant of pain. Cortosone shots never bothered me either. I have come back to work a week later - light duty, of course, with foot elevated and I have my 'ice machine' here. Fortunately, my company is assigning me desk work. The crutches have hurt me worse than anything. I go back to the doc tomorrow (2 weeks) and hopefully get my stitches out. I will probably still have the hard cast one more week before I get the walking one. Maybe your company can assign you to light duty, too.

Sharon W on 5/21/03 at 11:21 (119506)

Mary K,

Sounds like you had the same problem I did, causing your TTS: 'varicose veins that had wrapped like a hand around the nerve and the vein when they went in'. With a problem like that going on, I really don't think there is any way that you (or I) could have gotten any MAJOR relief from TTS with any treatment other than surgery.

Good luck to you; I hope this will relieve your pain! (Mine is about 80% better - not perfect, but I'll take it!)

Please keep us posted on how your recovery goes.

Sharon
:)

Linda P. on 5/21/03 at 11:47 (119507)

Hi Mary,
Wow, you are doing great...hard cast?? Seems all doctors do it different, I had the same problem as you with the veins, also had the ligament released.
My job has me on my feet too much, so...here I sit with my foot in the air, and hoping tomorrow will be better. Does your toes still swell?? I put my foot down and the toes look like grapes:), and start throbbing. Any suggestions? Have good day....

Marty on 5/21/03 at 12:58 (119516)

I had varicose veins as well. I had surgery feb19, 03 and there's no way I could stand for 12 hours a day yet. But then again and had pf release as well both together and can tell you is allot of surgery.

marty

Mary K. on 5/21/03 at 14:52 (119530)

Yes, my toes will tend to look like grapes - even at work with my foot on a stool. I've got the ice therapy going at my desk - so that really helps. I don't have any other suggestions other than using the 'polarcare' stuff. I keep it going round the clock. It's just such a long walk into my office - that is the biggest challenge. My job is a computer repair person - which I can't do at all right now. But I can 'manage' everyone - ha! I am looking forward to this long weekend to recuperate more but I have a very hard time sitting still, not to mention how that tires you out and depresses you. Good luck!

Mary K. on 5/21/03 at 15:00 (119532)

I will probably also have to have a pf release; however, my doctor said no way to doing them both at the same time. She said it would be too hard to recover. She had also just returned from a conference and apparently there is a new procedure and/or tool that is much easier on the patient. Shouldn't require as much downtime. You have my sympathy for recovering from both. I have also bought the customized (expensive - my insurance wouldn't pay since I wasn't diabetic) orthotics. Maybe once I get the ts under control, I won't need it!

Mary K. on 5/21/03 at 15:03 (119533)

I'll let you know a little further down the road when I can start walking. I asked my doctor if I did something to make this happen? I'm a walker - generally 3 miles a day. She said that more than likely it might be hereditary - which I never heard of; however, on one side of the family I did have relatives that in their old age had a lot of foot problems and couldn't walk, and cousins that have had the same type of surgery. Makes you wonder!

Linda P. on 5/21/03 at 15:04 (119534)

Well...It is good to hear that what we all are experiencing is normal...wish I could get out and back to work...sure does get boring and depressing at home. Glad to hear you will have a long weekend to sit back and put your foot UP!:) Have a good day...

Marty on 5/21/03 at 15:24 (119541)

Oh that great news if they have a new procedure. If you can find out more about it. Did your doctor tell you if you have pf release you will need orthodics the rest of your life.

I'm planning on doing ESWT on the other foot first and hoping I get enough relief as to not need the TTS release. If it doesn't work I'm not sure I will have both procedures done at the same time.

mb

Ray B on 5/21/03 at 21:01 (119578)

hello all! thank you for all of your responses.....its nice to hear a little bit from everyone, we learn when we share about our experiences!

I did have to go to the doctors today as the Demerol was not cutting the pain & found out I have a slight allergy to demerol so I have been changed to oxycocet which is helping. I am having a hard time keeping my foot up but when I don't have it up my toes & foot start to swell.

Oh well, thank you again for the feedback & keep in touch!
Ray B

Linda P. on 5/22/03 at 08:01 (119599)

Sorry to hear you are feeling the pain...its does get better, or shall I say bearable.:) As for the swelling when the foot is down, mine still does and it has been 3 weeks. (Does anyone know how long this lasts?)
Ray, try and keep your foot up at all times, and keep the ice going...what did you doctor say about going back to work? I cant imagine putting my foot in a boot at this time! Keep in touch, have a good day...:)

Mary K. on 5/22/03 at 18:44 (119694)

I'm making the assumption I will use the orthotics until they wear out - which should be a long time.
I went to the doctor today. She removed my stitches (at 14 days!). Must be all the Vitamin E I take - said I'm healing great. 25 stitches was all. I'll get a walking cast in 10 days. The foot is swollen, but it isn't painful. I take the cast off when I'm just sitting around so the wound can breathe. She even said I can get it in the pool!

Mary K. on 5/22/03 at 18:48 (119695)

The dr. took my stitches out today (2 wks.). I can exercise my foot as long as I don't put weight on it for 10 more days, which is when I will get my walking cast. It isn't painful at all. My foot is swollen, which is normal. She said to soak my foot - including getting in the pool if I want, as long as I don't put weight on it. When I'm on the crutches I still have to put the big hard cast back on. That was all such great news! I wish everyone else as good luck as what I am having.