Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more details on running and ESWT

Posted by elliott on 5/21/03 at 15:11 (119536)

This from last month's Biomechanics magazine:

http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/2003/0304.instride-sports1.bio.shtml

[]

Re: more details on running and ESWT

BrianG on 5/21/03 at 19:41 (119565)

Hi Elliott,

While it's nice to see some trials that oppose the Buchbinder study, it doesn't seem to be much of a help to us here in the USA. I know that Dr. Rompe works with low energy ESWT machines only. Why, I don't know. But I do know that the only ESWT machines that are approved in this country are high energy. Whats a person to do, fly to Canada for all treatments?????

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/03 at 20:49 (119574)

Brian:

I don't think that SOME trials oppose the Buchbinder study -- just about ALL trials oppose the Buchbinder study.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/03 at 20:52 (119575)

PS

Somehow I have a hard time believing that Buchbinder, et. al. are not smart people who just blew a study. I generally don't push conspiratorial theories but the Buchbinder study appeared to be a study with a political agenda, designed with a specific outcome in mind -- just my opinion.
Ed

elliott on 5/22/03 at 08:22 (119605)

BrianG, it may be only a matter of time before low energy hits the U.S., so it's probably worth keeping a lookout for low-energy results. Who knows, it may even turn out to be better than high energy. One interesting remark in that link is that Rompe claims to have had stricter selection criteria in some respects than the FDA study, e.g. a one-year minimum. Such info shows why the 'nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah, my machine scored higher than your machine' argument may not carry as much weight as one might first think.

[]

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/22/03 at 09:16 (119616)

Elliott:

So far, the differences in selection criteria and design do not show a particular advantage to a particular machine or protocol. I would like to see machines evaluated by the FDA for safety and if safe and using a similar protocol to those in research, be allowed use in the US. Rompe's critiera ensures that most subjects are dealing with a tissue quality problem (fasciosis).
Ed