Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The most requested CD at Amazon.com

Posted by marie on 5/22/03 at 21:22 (119715)

Well here's the news the most requested CD of all time at Amazon.com hasn't evan been recorded yet.....It's Clay Aiken's first CD. Clay is every skinny guy's hero.

I am so amazed that 24 million people voted for the next American Idol. I am just as pleased that Ruben won. Those two were definately the best. I liked Josh and Kimberly too. CNN reported that American Idol swept the ratings with 1 in every 3 households in the US tuned in except for John who was watching basketball and Dr. Phil. ;)

It's so nice to see that America chose talent over beauty!!!!! Not that being beautiful and talented is a bad thing either.

marie

Re: The most requested CD at Amazon.com

Sharon W on 5/22/03 at 22:02 (119720)

I WANT A COPY!! Clay Aiken has a really amazing voice, and it would be so nice to pop a Clay CD into the player as I drive along on my way to Washington State!

'Shakin' Aiken,' they called him last night... The thing is, I'm not sure if it was from nervousness or spunk...! Anyway, he can sure sing!

Sharon

Necee on 5/23/03 at 08:11 (119733)

Rats! I was rootin' for Clay, in my opinion he has a much better voice than Ruben. No doubt Clay will have a wonderful singing career.
I really liked Kimberly Caldwell too, and I'm thrilled she made the final 3, I bet we haven't seen the last of her.

Happy trails...
Necee

john h on 5/23/03 at 11:12 (119742)

I am glad the American Idol wimp Clay was made toast of. Everywhere I turn I keep hearing about who was going to win. Well I can tell you it will be the Spurs in 7 games.

I am fired up to watch the golf game today. Anna is going to have to shoot around a 69 to make the cut. Sure hope she makes it. I bet she will make $10 mil or more just in increased endorsements. She said she was more nervous than she has ever been which I can sure understand with all the cameras in the world pointed at you. Some years ago there was a charity golf event in which each team got to play one hole with Ray Floyd a famous PGA golfer. It was a shotgun start meaning we all started on a different hole at the same time. Ray Floyd just stayed at hole #13 and played with each group that came though. As fate would have it I started on hole #13 and was the first to tee off with Ray Floyd. All the TV cameras were rolling and I was not even sure I could stand up much less hit the golf ball. I prayed that please do not let me whiff (miss the ball). I managed to hit it but not exactly straight. My plan was to have at least a few beers before I arrived at #13 but unlucky me I started there stone cold sober. The Lawyer I was playing with was already boozed up as he started early so he was uneffected. Ray Floyd put his ball stone cold about 3 feet from the pin on this par 3. Yes there I was on TV but you could not see my heart pounding away like a sledge hammer.

Re: John

marie on 5/23/03 at 14:34 (119751)

Oh yes I am rooting for Anna. She has worked so hard to do this. I hope her nerves don't get the best of her.

What a funny story about your adventure with TV. It just goes to show ya life can take you about anywhere if you're just willing to go. I don't think I could have done it with less than 3 beers myself. Aside from that I don't even play golf. I always wanted to learn but was so busy working and raising kids I just never could find the time to take lessons. And now that my kids are grown my dumb feet and legs are messed up. Maybe if I had a golf cart I could do it.

Later, marie

Re: the canadians were watching A.I. too eh!

carynz on 5/23/03 at 19:50 (119775)

hi everyone,

I have posted in some time but checked in today and just had to let you know that your neighbours to the north are huge fans too! WE have been glued to the tv now since the start of show 2 and the VCR was whirring too when we could not be there live. I do wish we could have voted too I would have voted 1,335 times for my boy Clay although Ruben winning as you say is alright too and we will wait to hear those wonderful voices on their CD's when they come out. Can you preorder on Amazon for the cd to come out for sale? I guess we will watch A.I. juniors now and see how they do. We are having our own Canadian Idol show starting in June and will see what kind of talent comes out of those auditions although I can't imagine having another panel of judges like the 3 on A.I.

Have a great weekend for your holiday, it is graduation weekend here in our town for most high schools and the kids are out in their finery and will all the limos driving around you would think we are in Hollywood for a movie premiere! I can hardly wait until it's our turn to celebrate with our kids in 2005 and 2007 respectively, it will be so much fun!

Cheers
Caryn Z
Beautiful British Columbia Canada

wendyn on 5/23/03 at 20:26 (119777)

I didn't watch it either eh.

Too sick.

Caryn - my son's grad banquet is next weekend. I'm quite certain that I will cry the whole time. I will bring lots of kleenex!

john h on 5/24/03 at 10:03 (119809)

Wendy what are you sick with? You seem to have been down for some time. Get well.

wendyn on 5/24/03 at 15:25 (119821)

I don't know John - I guess just a bad cold (all in my sinuses and ears). I haven't been sick like this in years. It started last Saturday and I spent the whole long weekend in bed (our long weekend was last weekend). Made it to work this week, but I shouldn't have. I was gross and germy and no one wanted to be around me.

Today I feel like maybe there's hope - but I'm by no means better. I've gone from being a bit behind in a class I'm taking - to being in real trouble - and I had to drop my spring course.

Eric's grad is next weekend, and I'd really like to be human by then!

Re: I hope you feel better soon, Wendy!

Suzanne D on 5/25/03 at 06:51 (119865)

I'm sorry to read that you've been - and still are - sick, Wendy. It's rough trying to work and take classes and be a mom, etc. I've 'been there, done that' and I know.

I wish for your son a happy graduation with his mom feeling well enough to enjoy the ocassion! It's a bittersweet time when your child graduates: you are proud and happy and yet go through the 'where did the time go' feelings - or at least I did.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

john h on 5/25/03 at 09:33 (119875)

I do not think I have had a sinus infection in 25 years but this year I got one and had to go through to courses of antibiotics before it finally cleared up. We had s mini epidemic of sinus infections in our area.

wendyn on 5/25/03 at 09:42 (119876)

John - I've wondered about that (never had one before) - but since it does seem to get a little better every day, I'm thinking that it's just a nasty cold.

Re: Suzanne

wendyn on 5/25/03 at 09:44 (119878)

Thanks Suzanne, good to know that other people deal with those mixed emotions! I did not expect to feel this way. I often find myself trying to figure out just what happened in the last 12 years. I'm pretty sure that I just took him to his first day of school a year or two ago. It's really gone by so fast!

Re: Wendy...

Suzanne D on 5/25/03 at 11:55 (119885)

Yes, Wendy, I felt the same. I think it's normal to go through these emotions although they kind of sneaked up on me, too!

I have now gone through the milestones of high school graduation and, recently, college graduation and wedding for my older daughter. I'll have to say that the high school graduation was the most bitterweet to me. (Don't mean to make you sad!) I was very proud of my daughter and thankful for her accomplishments, I guess I just realized down deep that it was the end of 'an era', that while she'd always be my daughter, her world was getting bigger and things were changing.

But, take heart, Eric will always need you, and you'll have many good things to look forward to as you continue to share in his life.

I'll be thinking of you and him next weekend! @};-
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 5/26/03 at 08:39 (119947)

Wendy,

Hope it's not a sinus infection but if it is, don't let it go too long. You'll probably need an antibiotic to clear it up. Unlike John, I have never gone without at least two sinus infections a year! Same with my children - they inherited such good things from me!

Now, forgive me for not knowing this, but is this your oldest child who's graduating? You have an ten-year old son, too, don't you? The blizzard birthday boy?

Your poor country is going through tough times right now, aren't they? Between SARS and Mad Cow Disease, they face some tough economic times. I think of Canadians with great fondness and hope that neither crisis lasts too long.

Once you get over the initial shock of graduation, you'll find it's just the beginning of a whole new chapter in your son's life! Take care and I hope you get better soon!

wendyn on 5/26/03 at 19:25 (119972)

Kathy - your memory is very good!

Yes - I have a 10 year old (blizzard boy), a 17 year old (who is graduating this weekend) and a 19 year old step son.

Between West Nile, SARS, and Mad Cow...hmmm if you got caught up in the stories you'd stay in your house, with your windows shut, and eat bread and water for the rest of your life.

The mad cow one will do us in if it turns out bad. We export about 70% of our cattle the US - so having the border closed is a disaster. So far, they've slaughtered the entire heard that cow came from - and there isn't another case. They're testing several more herds, and we should know in the next couple of days if this is as isolated as it sounds like.

The laws on cattle and how you feed them are very strict here, so I'll be surprised if there's any problem - but it's necessary to be very sure that they've checked everything out.

Re: Wendy, about SARS

Carole C in NOLA on 5/26/03 at 20:07 (119978)

The return of the SARS epidemic to Toronto baffles me. I heard tonight that there may be 1000 cases there. I just don't get it!

Do more people travel from Asia to and from Toronto, than travel from Asia to and from U.S. cities? I can't think of any other possible differences between Toronto and many cities in the U.S., and yet we don't seem to have as much of a problem with SARS.

What is your take on it? Have you heard any hypotheses? Is it just luck? What a mystery.

We have West Nile in Louisiana, a lot of it. It's shown up this spring nearly everywhere in the state. A month ago a dead bird was found about a mile from my home, and then was diagnosed as having West Nile. So, the local government has launched a massive spraying program. So far, nobody around here has become sick with West Nile this year. A side benefit of the spraying program is that there are very few mosquitos and bugs flying about this year to bother anyone.

Carole C

BGCPED on 5/26/03 at 20:43 (119981)

There is a very large Asian population in Toronto. San Francisco also has a large Asian group as well. Wonder what the difference is between the two unless a few of the original carriers got it started in Toronto?

I know they are giving away trips to Toronto. You can take a train from Windsor to Toronto for the weekend and get tickets to a show and a room for less than $200 or so, good deal if your willing to play SARS roulette.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/26/03 at 23:26 (119988)

They recently cancelled the non-stop flight from New Orleans to Toronto on a Canadian airline. I guess the planes were not full.

I too wonder what the difference could be. It's been several months and I'd think that would have given U.S. cities time to 'catch up' with Toronto as far as having more SARS cases.

Both Canada and U.S. medical facilities and public health measures are good and up to date, I'd imagine. I'm perplexed. I'm wondering if it's just a matter of publicity, or if the differences are real, too. Maybe there are environmental issues of some kind that contribute, but I don't know what they could be. Cold air? We have plenty of that too, in the northern states.

Carole C

Pauline on 5/27/03 at 08:39 (120002)

Good question. There are 152,620 Chinese living in San Francisco and 409,500 Chinese living in the Greater Toronto Area. In the U.S. N.Y. has the second largest Chinese population and in Canada it's Vancouver.

With the larger population maybe there is just more movement into and out of Toronto to China, but you'd still think we'd be reporting more of our own cases.

Maybe just another gov. cover up not to scare people. It's ok to scare them about Toronto, but N.Y. couldn't stand another visitor shortage right now or San. Francisco for that matter. They need tourist money to cover their electrical bills out there.

Here is an interesting fact: Hawaii is the only state where Asians (500,000) or 41% and Pacific Islanders (114,000) or 9% equal 50% of their population.

Kathy G on 5/27/03 at 08:43 (120003)

Apparently the whole health community is perplexed. According to today's article in the Boston Globe, the World Health Organization spokesman went out of his way to commend Canada's health system and the way they have treated the outbreak of SARS. The current rash of cases can be linked to a single man who died of what was believed to be pneumonia. It turns out that it was SARS and many of his healthcare workers have contracted the disease. It is said that if they treat every case of pneumonia as if it was SARS, it would be a nightmare for the health system but the symptoms are so similar, it's hard to tell the difference.

My sister has friends visiting from England who are leaving her house in Annapolis to travel in Canada today. They said they'll take their chances and no such scare is going to hold them back. I don't know if I admire them or think they're crazy. Toronto is on thier list of destinations. Or it was the last I heard.

Kathy G on 5/27/03 at 08:47 (120005)

So I wonder if the 94 year old man had been to China or was Chinese. You'd think the article would mention that. Of course, he could have gone to church or something and sat next to someone with SARS who sneezed or something and came down with it. It's very, very strange.

As to a goverment coverup, I'm one of the most cynical people in the world but even I don't think they could shut up every health official if there was an outbreak in NYC. Of course, stranger things have happened!

Pauline on 5/27/03 at 09:16 (120011)

I have 24 people afraid to go to Stratford Ontario to see a couple of plays. Stratford is about 2 hrs from Toronto and I personally think the audience will be mostly American. Add the beef scare and it makes for a real interesting weekend. Right now they think the air changes once they cross the border.

I've decided to purchase 'hospital masks' for anyone that want's to wear one:*

The play house is still reporting business as usual. To go or not to go that is the question? Just glad the trip wasn't a week-end in Toronto.

Kathy G on 5/27/03 at 13:22 (120040)

Pauline,

I just heard a report on NPR. They were interviewing a Canadian official and I only got part of it but he said there is no travel warning just an advisory. Or maybe it was the other way around? At any rate, it's the lesser of the two. They truly believe that this new outbreak is going to be restricted to the two hospitals involved. They don't believe there are any problems with travel in Toronto as long as you don't go to those hospitals, which aren't taking new patients anyway.

Having re-read the article I saw this morning and having listened to this gentleman, I don't think I 'd worry about going to Ontario. Of course, I live in NH and I believe that if it's really going to be widespread, it's only a matter of time before it hits our part of the country. So I'm figuring that every time I leave the house, I may be exposed to it. But then, every time I leave the house, I could get hit by a car, too.

Can't tell you what to do but this was an enlightening program. Wish I'd heard the whole thing but I do know he said that all those who had been in contact with the SARS victim are wearing masks, gowns and gloves, at home as well as at work. They sure seem to be taking all the right precautions.

I sure wouldn't order a hamburger up there until they get the full results of the tests back!;)

Pauline on 5/27/03 at 20:04 (120072)

I think Canada is doing everything it can and I'm not really worried myself. My travelers have the anxiety. I left the decision up to each one of them. They don't have to go.

You can't plan for things like this. It does make me wonder why there are so few American cases reported considering the numbers of Asians we have in the States.

Does anyone really think the WHO would put a travel warning on one of the U.S. cities? I wonder if it was ever done. Even when Polio ran ramped I don't remember any travel warnings on the U.S.