Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A question for the doctors - ESWT abroad...

Posted by Aly R. on 5/23/03 at 10:41 (119739)

I apologize for the long post - but I have limited time to act and need advice quickly...

I happen to be travelling to Australia next Saturday (5/31) for 2 weeks, and discovered just last night that ESWT is incredibly cheap there compared to here. I've suffered from severe PF for over a year now, and am getting pretty desperate, but want to avoid cortisone and surgery. I will be using a wheelchair while there, so my feet would have a chance to heal after the procedure. It may be too late to schedule appointments there, but before I try I have some questions:

1) I know there are different types of machines (some of which are not FDA approved). Do I need to be concerned about what type of machine is being used, or the clinic's methodology? Are some machines and methods riskier than others or are they basically the same?

2) Should the person doing the procedure have certain minimum qualifications?

3) I am currently being worked up by a neurologist because in addition to my heel pain I have developed tingling in my feet upon weight bearing, and have 'Tinel's Sign' in my ankle when I tap behind the inside ankle bone. I've had tons of blood work done and show no signs of illness or underlying disorder. I am scheduled for an MRI of the spine upon my return, and then hopefully the neurologist will have an diagnosis. The tingling is markedly improved with regular use of anti-inflammatories. Might this be a reason to NOT have ESWT at this time?

4) Am I correct that ESWT does not have any known risks (other than a possible increase in pain for a few weeks after)?

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: A question for the doctors - ESWT abroad...

dave r on 5/23/03 at 11:16 (119743)

Aly, there is a doctor from Australia that post here once inawhile. He uses the Dornier. His email is (email removed)
I couldnt find his phone number but at least its a start for you....Good luck!

Aly R. on 5/23/03 at 11:22 (119744)

Thanks Dave, much appreciated!! I'd only been able to located one place so far. If anyone else has info on places doing ESWT in Australia, I'd be grateful.

john h on 5/24/03 at 10:23 (119812)

Allan from Australia has been doing ESWT for a long time and was a regular here for a while. His email is (email removed)
His price compared to the U.S. are unreal and I think he is using the Epos Ultra. Nice guy and very very smart about ESWT.