Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis - I want to run Again!!!

Posted by RegR on 5/24/03 at 15:58 (119822)

In September of 2002, I severly sprained my left ankle. Shortly afterward, I began having heel pain. Everything indicates it is plantar fasciitis. The pain appears in the morning as it is described and minimizes after being up and around for a while. I have attempted running three times since my injury, only to find the severity of the pain to increase dramatically, to the point I cannot not even walk the next morning. I have not run for several months, the pain continues every morning (although not to the extent it does after I had ran). I wish to run again! What is the long term negative effect, if begin to run and 'tough out' the pain? What are my options?

Re: Plantar Faciitis - I want to run Again!!!

SteveG on 5/24/03 at 17:30 (119826)

The 'long term negative effect' is that the condition can become chronic and debilitating. You need to read the heel pain book on this site to ensure that you are doing everything you can to treat the problem. Have you seen a podiatrist?

kay on 5/27/03 at 20:45 (120077)

Stop running!
I kept walking and doing aerobics....now I can't be on my feet for 10 minutes. I am only 47 but I am basically crippled. I've just about tried everything.
Take care of your feet.....stop running.

Mike P on 5/27/03 at 21:25 (120085)

Your story has a beginning like mine. I have been a runner for 6 years until I sprined my ankle. After the ankle healed, I began to run again only to develop PF. I tried to run through it and it only made it worst. I have been dealing with it for almost 2 years now and I have done everything and I mean everything this site supports. I had ESWT in February and I am around 12 weeks now and I do see some improvement....The only thing to do is rest and find another exercise routine to keep up your endurance like aquajogging....even bicycling may pull on the fascia. REST!
I can identify with you...I cant wait to run again. My weight is creeping up but IF YOU DONT TAKE CARE NOW...IT WILL BECOME CHRONIC...My best to you.