Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia Release Surgery done 5/23

Posted by frostymom on 5/26/03 at 11:27 (119956)

Question for all, I had surgery Friday (open method, not scope) what has been anyone's recovery time? When can I expect to be driving, etc? Seem to be getting about OK with cane and surgical shoe, but a lot of pain on the outside of my foot today

Re: Plantar Fascia Release Surgery done 5/23

Dr. Z on 5/26/03 at 11:58 (119957)

Hi

This is a very individual answer. Some doctors have you weight bearing some have you non-weight bearing. Some get better fast some take six months plus
Driving could be two weeks to two months. The first step is to rest and stay off your feet for at least the first 72 hours. Good luck and my best for a speedy recovery

frostymom on 5/26/03 at 18:25 (119967)

No driving for 2 weeks? You are kidding! How about what is normal for stitches to remain in, and how do people shower with stitches in their foot?

Dr. Z on 5/26/03 at 19:16 (119970)

Stitches two weeks. There are cast protectors that are used to keep your foot dry. What kind of post-op healing time frames did your surgeon give you. ?

frostymom on 5/27/03 at 08:59 (120009)

Actually, went back today, he is pretty laid back, so he said I can shower, just clean site with a bit of peroxide after shower. Stitches will stay 2 weeks. Can and should be doing stretches, but no vigorous activity yet. I looked up some protectors, look like an expensive plastic bag LOL!

Lauren M on 5/27/03 at 13:16 (120036)

I had open surgery done in January and am still healing 5 months later. I built up a lot of scar tissue and was in Physical therapy for 3 months. Make sure your doc reccomends therapy. I was not allowed to get the foot wet until stitches were out. I wore the boot/soft cast for two months and was not allowed to drive with it. I'm doing much better, but still swollen and tender in the heal after a few hours of walking. My friend said it took her a good year to fully heal. Every day gets better. Good Luck

BrianG on 5/27/03 at 20:41 (120075)

Hi Frostymom,

After looking at your questions, do you feel like your doctor told you enough about your operation, before you had it? Did he bother to discuss any of the problems, or failures, that can occur? I noticed in your first post that you were in a lot of pain. Did he give you anything for the pain?

You say he is laid back, I'm wondering if he's just plain lazy, and is going to be done with you asap. I hope not, but just keep it in the back of your mind in case you have any problems and he wants to put all the responsibility on you. Some will claim they did their part flawlesly, and you must be the 1st patient that didn't recover as planned.
Good luck, I hope you do recover without any problems !!

BrianG

frostymom on 5/28/03 at 11:36 (120145)

Of course he discussed it with me in detail. Of course he gave me pain medicine. And yes we discussed that sometimes it can be a slow recovery, and that even with the surgery the problem is not corrected, and could be worse.

frostymom on 5/28/03 at 11:38 (120147)

I have one of the surgical type shoes, and have been driving today, took shower this AM, driving was not real comfie.