Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HealWell & A-Force (Dorsal) Night Splints

Posted by DennisG on 5/26/03 at 18:55 (119969)

I love the completeness of the information on your site.

I am considering purchasing my first night splint. I have plantar Fasciitis.
How are the 'HealWell Night Splint' and 'A-Force Dorsal Night Splint' as compared to the Nice Night Splint that you recommend?
The A-Force looks like it would be very comfortable from the pictures.

Re: HealWell & A-Force (Dorsal) Night Splints

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/27/03 at 07:47 (119993)

Dennis,

All the night splints you've mentioned are excellent products, but my preference is the Strassburg Sock. In my practice, my patients have had the most success with the use of the Strassburg Sock. It is a much different product and the feedback I receive from patients is very positive. It is a night splint that seems to disrupt sleep the least and allows you to actually walk with it if you have to go to the bathroom at night. The company has a website and the product is less than $40. By the way, I have no financial interest in the company, but I do believe it's a great product.

DennisG on 5/28/03 at 13:39 (120166)

Thank you for responding to my concern and sharing your medical expertise. The cost of the item was not as important to me (they are all in a similar price range) as getting one that would work and be 'user friendly.'
I thank you, and my feet thank you ;-)

Bob A on 5/06/04 at 10:22 (150119)

I tried the Strassburg Sock and it did NOT work for me, although I've seen plenty of positive feedback on it from others. My problem was that the sock places a lot of pressure on the toes and that caused a lot of pain for me. I've seen a few other folks make same complaint, but as I mentioned I've also seen that it has helped other people.

So, I then tried the HealWell Night Splint. That did not work for me, as it was way too bulky and since I'm the type of sleeper who turns over a lot during the night, it doesn't work. But it may work well for other folks.

Now, I just ordered the A-Force Dorsal Night Splint. This splint does not appear to be as bulky as the HealWell and it does not put pressure on the toes like the Strassburg. So my fingers (toes?) are crossed in hopes that the A-Force will work.

My conclusion is that everyone's body/feet are different and you must experiment with various options until you find what works for you. Might be time consuming and costly, but hey, your body/health are worth it...

Pauline on 5/06/04 at 15:55 (150134)

Bob,
You might want to know that the A-Force Dorsal Night splint was the one that I used twice and sent back. I found it to be very poorly made because of two important reasons.

1. The straps are only velcroed to the main body and you'll find after any use they will not stick anymore.

2. It doesn't provide enough angle to actually provide a stretch in the P.F. I took it to my Dr. office and let him look at the angle achieved and he said it didn't provide enough. If I wanted to use it to achieve any help I would have to insert foam padding in the toe area to achieve the proper flex needed.

I too liked the way it looked and wanted to try it because I was looking for something less bulky, packable and cool meaning not hot to sleep in.

You may like it, but I'd ask your doctor about the amount of stretch that you can achieve with it. No sense wasting your time if it isn't going to work.

Actually after wearing night splints for over 3 years, I have pretty good design elements in mind to make one user friendly. Someday maybe I'll just do that. There certainly is a need out there.

Good luck with yours. I hope you get better results than I experienced with mine.

Re: GREAT NEWS! HealWell & A-Force (Dorsal) Night Splints

Bob A on 5/18/04 at 18:24 (150786)

Well, I have now been using A-Force Dorsal Night Splint for about 2 weeks, and I think I've finally found a night splint that works for me (see my earlier post below where I unsuccessfully tried 2 others prior to A-Force). The A-Force does not bother my sleep, and I'm even able to toss and turn a bit without it being cumbersome. You aren't supposed to walk on it, but I've been able to 'limp' successfully the few steps to the bathroom on the occassion I've had the need in the middle of the night. Pauline indicated that the angle was insufficient for her, but it seems to work fine for me, and I no longer have the morning heel pain when I step out of bed. Again, I think that everyone's body is unique and you have to find what works best for you. It seems many folks like the Strassburg, but that one didn't work for me. I'm thrilled that my efforts finally brought me to the A-Force... Here's to no more heel pain!

---------------------------
Message Number 150119

Re: HealWell & A-Force (Dorsal) Night Splints View Thread
Posted by Bob A on 5/06/04 at 10:22

I tried the Strassburg Sock and it did NOT work for me, although I've seen plenty of positive feedback on it from others. My problem was that the sock places a lot of pressure on the toes and that caused a lot of pain for me. I've seen a few other folks make same complaint, but as I mentioned I've also seen that it has helped other people.

So, I then tried the HealWell Night Splint. That did not work for me, as it was way too bulky and since I'm the type of sleeper who turns over a lot during the night, it doesn't work. But it may work well for other folks.

Now, I just ordered the A-Force Dorsal Night Splint. This splint does not appear to be as bulky as the HealWell and it does not put pressure on the toes like the Strassburg. So my fingers (toes?) are crossed in hopes that the A-Force will work.

My conclusion is that everyone's body/feet are different and you must experiment with various options until you find what works for you. Might be time consuming and costly, but hey, your body/health are worth it...