Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sleeping with TTS

Posted by Jill T. on 5/28/03 at 10:10 (120133)

I've had TTS for about six months now. I have good days and bad. Lately, there has been more bad days, then good. I was wondering if any of you could good offer any advice to getting a better night sleep. I am currently on Elavil and it seemed to help for a bit. Unfortantely, lately I have been having intense pins and needles when I lie down to fall asleep. The pain gets too intense and I have to sit up and rest my foot on the floor. When the pins and needles subside I try to lay down again, just to be in pain again. I repeat this cycle for about an hour or two. Then when I finally do fall asleep I wake up several times throughout the night in pain from the pins and needles. I've tried sleeping sitting up, but I just can't get a good night's sleep doing that. I've tried mediating before I go to bed to get my focus off of the pain, but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Sleeping with TTS

SteveG on 5/28/03 at 10:30 (120139)

Jill - Try doing a search on 'contrast baths' - many posters have found that they help deminish their symptoms. You could also ask your doctor about another drug e.g., Neurotonin. Many people with neuropathic pain respond to the drug. Although it is a lot more expensive then Elavil, it seems to have a better success rate.

Terry D. on 5/28/03 at 12:26 (120155)

Hi Jill, I was in excruciating pain. I wouldn't even bother going into my bedroom. There were days, 48 hrs., when I wouldn't even sleep. Once on neurotin, 1600mg. combined with 25 mg of elavil the pain was controlled and I slept like a baby. Hope this gives you some encouragement.
Terry D.

eileenc on 5/31/03 at 08:36 (120491)

I too got relief from Neurontin.
Another thing I did for about 3 1/2 years was to use one of those blue plastic ice packs you use for Picnic coolers. Take a rectangular one ( small or medium) and slip it between 2 pairs of socks. first I put on a thick pair of my socks and then I put on a pair of my husband's athletic socks. when you put the ice pack between them it doesn't seem to get too cold and will reduce the pain all night.

David G. on 6/05/03 at 22:56 (121093)

i have the same problem. i was told to change beds (not too firm with pillow top) and that might help (i hope).

Sharon W on 6/11/03 at 14:09 (121561)

Jill,

Sorry to jump into this discussion late, but I was on a long car trip.

I had the same problem with sleeping -- it seemed like the pins and needles were always worse when I got ready for bed, and I just couldn't keep my mind off of it for long enough to drift off... So I explained the problem to my family Dr. and asked for a prescription for 'Ambien,' a drug that helps you get to sleep but ISN'T a tranquilizer like Valium or something really strong like a barbituate. (It also isn't as addictive...)

Are you taking Neurontin? I found that one helped a whole LOT with the pins and needles, once I got up to the right dose.

Anyway, good luck with your sleeping problem. I know what it's like!

Sharon