Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can orthotics be copied???

Posted by JoeB on 5/28/03 at 13:24 (120163)

I was wondering if a pair of orthotics can be copied rather than having to make another set of impressions in the foam box??

Re: Can orthotics be copied???

George on 5/28/03 at 13:45 (120167)

A lab may be able to take new impressions from you existing shells, by placing them in a foam box. They can then pour new molds and make new orthotics. The only problem is that they (the lab) would probably have to remove the component parts from your existing pair of orthotics so that they can get to the shells. If this is the case and you still want the original pair, there would also be a refurbishing fee.

Re: Can orthotics be copied???

Richard, C.Ped on 5/28/03 at 14:33 (120178)

Joe,
I have actually tried this with someone from the message board. The thing is, the casts of her feet were not taken very well, so what I made did not come out correct either. The best thing is to either check to see if your casts from the first pair are still around, or just go ahead and have another impression made. With my repeat customers, I will use the same cast only once for another pair. After a couple of years, I like to do another cast just in case something has changed with their feet.
Richard