Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've done 20 days, but 10 years?

Posted by michelleF on 5/28/03 at 21:52 (120230)

Gratitude list is rather short today-
1) glad there is this message board
so I can complain is at the top of the list...
2) glad I can talk about my feet to someone beside my husband
3) glad you'll understand why I'm skipping right ahead
to the complaint list
I ruptured plantar fascia 20 days ago. Today the other foot was diagnosed as having plantar fasciitis... So I've just been avoiding standing on my feet by reading everybody's mail and wishing my feet didn't hurt.

I noticed a few other Teacher- types around. With the school year so close to the end (18 more teaching days) every substitute day is a waste time- and substitutes are hard to come by. I've already decided to take the summer off if I make it that far. I lucky that I have health coverage, but I am worried about the longevity of this problem. How do other people deal with taking the time off of work?

What medications have worked well for pain that don't leave a person all drugged out? I can't stand that sleepy, stupid feeling... but right now I can't stand on my feet so it's relative...

Well, I get up before the crack of dawn... it's me and the construction workers at Sheetz... meeting time 5:00 AM so I've got to sign off.

May your heels be cushy and your ligaments flexible,

Re: I've done 20 days, but 10 years?

Necee on 5/28/03 at 23:47 (120241)

A long as there IS gratitude.....it matters not if the list is short.

I'm sorry that you are having such a time with your feet Michelle. I bet you are looking forward to the summer, maybe then you can rest.
I have tried Vioxx for pain, it doesn't leave me feeling sleepy, and seems to help. Aleve is another good pain reliever. You will just have to try different ones and see what works best for you. Are you wearing good support shoes? That is very important for those of us with PF.
I've got to share this with you.....when I read the ending words of your post I thought it read, May your heels be crusty!! Anyway, I thought you might get a laugh out of that, it's late here and I'm tired.

Happy trails...

Bob B on 5/29/03 at 09:09 (120257)

I understand you have plantar fasciitis in one foot and a ruptured plantar fascia in the other. Ruptures can be partial or total. In the case of total, the plantar fascia is for all practical purposes 'gone' and can not be repaired.
I have a total rupture in my right foot. The left is OK. This happened in Sept. last year. I didn't know what was going on and did not seek help until December. I am using custom orthotics. I can not walk very far without them. I spent the months of Jan and Feb basically on my butt. I am getting better but it is so slow I have to think way back to realize the improvement. I can now stand on my toes, squat, get up and down from the floor, and walk somewhat normally if I do it slow. I am not sure how much less pain I have or am I just getting used to it. I used Vioxx during the first few weeks of January but am not sure how much help it was.
Here's what I think: Ice packs can help but I soon found that foot massages did more. The pain is initally very severe but does get better. Custom orthotics are a MUST. Rest is needed every day and is required less as time passes. TIME is the biggest thing here. When I see someone without a leg or foot or on crutches or in a wheelchair, my pain becomes less. :)
Really, you will get better but get GOOD help. Get an Rx from your bone doctor and find a good certified pedothist.
Really, you're going to get better! Good luck!
Bob B

Pauline on 5/29/03 at 12:48 (120276)

What prognosis were you given following your ruptured P.F. Any idea how much improvement you or other can expect from this occurance?

Bob B on 5/29/03 at 13:12 (120279)

My doctor, an Orthopaedic surgeon, says he has seen hundreds and hundreds of totally ruptured plantar fascia. He said the foot will 'settle down' and the pain will greatly reduce or go away all together. I saw him in December, so it has been 5 months now. And, I am much better now.I doubt that I will ever skip rope, but who knows? I have to think about it in terms of months, not weeks, to see the progress. He said it could take a year. He also warned me that I could experience more problems down the road, he just can't say for sure. He said 'you could get to be just fine and then 20 years later a problem comes on'. I hope this answers your questions.
Bob B

john h on 5/29/03 at 14:42 (120297)

Bob: One of my orthopedic surgeons (lady) had PF and totally ruptured her PF and her pain did go completely away after a while. Long term we do not know how these turn out. This is another reason for me to believe that PF pain can be caused by many different things some of which may not be the PF at all and that what works for some (surgery,ESWT,etc) may not work for others and in fact make them worse. We are inundated with studies and data of all sorts but the fact is in any given case your doctor is unlikely to be be able to point to your foot and identify the pain generator. We are back to medicine being an art which it is.