Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Blood work before foot surgery

Posted by Andrea M. on 5/28/03 at 22:56 (120234)

I am a healthy 53 year old. I am going to have foot surgery, should I have blood work done before the surgery? Thank you!

Re: Blood work before foot surgery

JoAnn M on 5/29/03 at 00:20 (120244)

This was required for my surgery,thought it was standard

Dr. Z on 5/29/03 at 02:59 (120247)

I would have at leasat a cbc

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/29/03 at 21:03 (120320)

Blood work prior to surgery is no longer required by many institutions, since the majority of patients undergoing elective surgery are healthy, and pre op blood work rarely showed any abnormality. Of course, it depends on the procedure being performed, the age of the patient, whether the patient is a smoker, whether there are pre-existing medical problems, etc. As a general rule (I'm on staff at 3 hospitals and 2 surgery centers), the newer requirements are minimal to no blood work for 'healthy' patients under 40, and an ECG/electrocardiogram for patients over 40 and an ECG and chest x-ray for smokers. The routine pre op ordering of a CBC, PT, PTT (bleeding times) and glucose are no longer required in most facilities that I'm associated with. You must check the requirements of the facility, your doctor and the anesthesia department.