Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascitis running shoes

Posted by robin on 5/29/03 at 11:41 (120266)

Can anyone suggest a good running shoe for someone with pf. Need brand and model please.

Re: plantar fascitis running shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 5/29/03 at 13:18 (120281)

Hi Robin...
There are many good shoes out there. My favorites are Brooks and New Balance. You want to look for a shoe that does not bend or flex in the middle which will irritate the fascia. Squeeze the heel counter...the very back of the shoe where your heel and achilles rest. This should be pretty rigid for ankle stability. Now, while holding the counter, grab the ball area of the shoe and try to basically push the front to the back. If the shoe bends anywhere other than at the ball...I would stay away from that shoe.

Also, either a good off the shelf insert such as the Power step, or a custom device may be needed in the future. Reducing stress by supporting the fascia will help promote healing.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/29/03 at 14:34 (120295)

Robin and Richard:

Most of my PF patients are in New Balance and Brooks motion control shoes.
Some specific models include the Brooks Ariel, Brooks Beast, Brooks Addiction V, New Balance 1122, New Balance 587.

Kathy G on 5/30/03 at 10:03 (120366)

Be sure to check the store's exchange policy for shoes and wear them around the house for a while before you decide to keep them. Interestingly, and not surprisingly since I am a little strange, motion control shoes, like Ed recommends, nearly kill me.

So I think trial and error is the way to go. One word of advice, if you find a style that seems to be working for you after a month or so, go back and buy at least one more pair. They change these styles so quickly! I had a pair of Asics I loved and then it disappeared. It took me months, and a great deal of money, before I found another style that worked for me.

Thankfully, my sister-in-law can wear all the shoes that didn't work for me!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/30/03 at 17:10 (120443)

Trial and error can be fairly expensive unless one can find a store with a generous return policy. One problem is that it can take several days to see the effect of a shoe.

The majority of individuals with PF benefit from motion control shoes but not all. A better way may be to understand one's biomechanical needs before moving forward with the shoe purchase.

BGCPED on 5/31/03 at 06:44 (120490)

Dr Ed is correct. I would bet that 1/2 of the runners I see are not in the best shoe for there specific needs and prob 60% are in the wrong size. The thing about runners is that they not only have foot issues but can have knee, shin, hip or other probs as well. A shoe can affect any of these.
If you want to post a pic of you in shorts standing barefoot in a normal position we can look. Stand on a hard floor and get a front and back picture. Try to have someone else take it so you are not positioned akwardly. Try to get a close up of the feet front and back also.

We may be able to steer you in the right direction model wise