Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flat Foot Reconstructive Suregery- Is anyone happy they did It?

Posted by HilaryG on 5/29/03 at 13:34 (120285)

I'm beginning to believe that's my only option. But I 'd like to hear from others- hopefully those who had good experiences, but I guess I should hear from both sides. Thanks

Re: Flat Foot Reconstructive Suregery- Is anyone happy they did It?

Joe B. on 5/29/03 at 14:08 (120289)

I'm in the same boat as you!! I have flat feet and I'm trying to decide to go thru with the surgery. From what I've heard, the actual procedure isn't that bad, it's the recovery. I think it's 6-8 weeks in a below the knee cast and no weight bearing. Then you go into a walking cast for another 2-4 weeks, I think. If anybody knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pauline on 5/29/03 at 15:16 (120304)

My questions to both you and Hilary are:
1. What promises were made by your doctors about results?
2. Have you spoken to any of THEIR patients who underwent the same
surgery?
3. How many opinions have you had about this surgery?
4. Do you know how many your doctors have performed and how long have
been doing the procedure.
5. Have each of you researched the latest medical abstracts about the
surgery your considering.

You don't have to answer these questions for me, but I think they are questions you may want to consider for your own piece of mind along with
others that may be on your mind.

I personally would want to know everything I could about this type of surgery before undertaking it. Changing your foot may also affect your knee and hip. You may also want to check that out with an Orthopedic Surgeon to see how everything will work together following surgery. Just hoping to give you some ideas and some thoughts.

It sounds like a great undertaking and I wish both of you the very best.
Certainly a difficult decision.

Joe B. on 5/30/03 at 06:32 (120342)

I had 2 opinions; one from a reputable podiatric surgeon and the other from an orthopaedic surgeon that only had an interest in foot and ankle problems. The podiatric surgeon happens to be my cousin, thru marriage, and he explained the whole thing to me. He was very optimistic about the whole thing and he said that it would improve my quality of life. The orthopaedic surgeon had a totally different approach. He wanted to put 3 screws in my heel and ankle and fuse them together or something like that. After hearing that, I figured I would stay with a podiatric surgeon since all they do is feet!!! There is one more podiatric surgeon that I want to see for an opinion. He was recommended by my cousin. I can give you their names if you want.

BGCPED on 5/31/03 at 06:40 (120489)

I know of a few very good orthopedic guys that only do foot and ankle. One has a fellowship that 2 Dr per year will train under. He has very good results. The problem with your condition is there are different grades of flat foot and many different prosedures or variations of procedures.

Some peopl will want the dr that makes it sounds as little as possible i.e. I will just put some screws in and fuse it and you will be great. SOMETIMES less is not better. Fusions are forever and do limit function, they should be a last resort imho.

Assuming you have a high grade flat foot and your post tib tendon is gone and you have tight heel cords. One dr may say just fuse it. Another may want to do a total reconstruction. To be honest a full recon is out of the realm for many surgeons. You want a dr that does a few per week

I am not trying to confuse you or create too many questions in your mind just give you some information. Hope one of the drs did go over reconstruction, I would ask a few questions without sounding like your trying to tell him his business. If your heel cords are tight (95% they are) will he lengthen them also? DO you have a rigid dorsiflexed 1st ray, will he lower it if its bad? Will he shift your calcaneous (heel)? lengthen the lateral column of your foot if so using donor bone, your bone or some other means? Do tendon transfer?

Again not telling you to confuse you but one of the Dr I know does that whole above procedure in about 45 min to an hour. His goal is to try to restore function as normal as possible rather than fusion. Fusion is warranted in some cases but sometimes it gets done cause it is the easiest for some dr.

If your front door was not opening properly and it was a bit crooked one carpenter might say, well ill just screw it shut and you can use the side door. Another may say your foundation is sinking so the door frame is crooked so I will fix the foundation, then square everything up and the door should work.

One method is easier but one is more functional. Hope that helped. Remember a fusion is needed some times but they are forever so ask a bunch of questions and get as many opinions as possible. Your not picking a guy to mow your lawn here so dont feel bad about asking too many questions

Pauline on 5/31/03 at 15:12 (120539)

Are you talking about Dr. Manoli?

Joe B. on 6/02/03 at 08:11 (120692)

So who is this Dr that can fix flat feet in 45 mins to an hour?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

BGCPed on 6/02/03 at 11:15 (120713)

Yes I was as a matter of fact, good eye. I dont like to post names unless a person asks. That procedure is one of his meat and potato called the 'All American'.

BGCPed on 6/02/03 at 11:24 (120717)

His number is 248-858-6773 ask for Sue. Obviously not all of them only take 45 minutes but he does do many of them. He has a fellwoship so there are 2 other good surgeons there to help. He gets patents from all over for that procedure. I saw one he did from Alabama and an NBA referee from, I think N Carolina.

He has trained, I would guess about 15 to 20 fellows that are scattered all over the country so if travel is not possible you may want to ask them who they would suggest

Pauline on 6/02/03 at 14:47 (120738)

I thought so. He's got quite a reputation for reconstructive work. If I needed it done I'd see Manoli. Brian what else does he have on his menu?

BGCPed on 6/03/03 at 21:47 (120841)

He also is skilled at restructure of cavus high arch foot as well as post polio etc. He has a few novel approaches to certain conditions. The guy has a pretty impressive cv for sure, Im pretty fortunate to do some work with him.

p.s. we finally got our patent granted for the pre-fab cavus foot orthotic. Took about 3 years, now we need to find a company to fabricate them so we can start meeting the demand. Dr Ed, I am sure we can count on a big order from you...right?

dave r on 6/04/03 at 08:56 (120874)

I'll buy one!

Pauline on 6/04/03 at 09:49 (120885)

Congradulations on the patent Ed. I hope plan to watch the quality control on the manufacturing process. Will this orthotic be an over the counter product or only available through doctors Rx's.?

I agree Dr. Manoli is the guru in foot and ankle reconstruction. I think the man studied under God. Few doctors are accepted into that program.

BGCPed on 6/04/03 at 17:23 (120961)

It will only be available through dr, pt, cped,orthotist, podiatrist etc. It is rather unique for a pre-fab device so fitting it to the wrong foot type could do harm. Thanks for the compliments

D. Johnson on 6/10/03 at 14:58 (121471)

Hilary,
I'm looking at the same surgery myself. I've been trying to find any site that might give insight as to success rates for this type of surgery, but I've had no luck. Any suggestions?

HilaryG on 6/10/03 at 15:33 (121477)

No such luck

barry on 6/12/03 at 12:10 (121644)

I am also looking into the surgery. However, what type of pain or discomfort must one be in to warrant the surgery?
Can one of you tell me if you are experiencing similar discomfort or not
Here I go:
I have worn orthotics all my life to treat my flat feet, however, only in the past couple of years have my feet been bothering me. when I run my arch kills. similarly, when I stand in the same place my feet are very uncomfortable. interestingly, when i walk my feet are ok. however, after I walk for a long period of time the inside of my ankle hurts.
I also have anterior compartment syndrome, which a reputable doctor in california told me is caused by my flat feet. I was supposed to go to get the latter problem fixed surgically (not a major operation at all) in August.
In any event, I would like to know if anyone in this discussion has had the surgery? are there long term side effects? Who is Dr. Manoli and what is his number? Do you experience similar pain to mine or is it worse? Have you tried orthotics, but they do not work?

If any of you want to respond personally, I provided my email address. BGCPED, are you Brian? Are you a Podiatrist? IF you are I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you all for your time and posts.

barry on 6/16/03 at 12:49 (121999)

This message is for BGCPed: is is possible for me to call you about this procedure. you can reach me via email: (email removed)