Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Open Plantar Fasciotomy

Posted by Mark R. on 5/29/03 at 21:25 (120324)

Hi. I had the endoscopic plantar fasciotomy last year and four weeks ago I had the complete release. When does the tingling, numbness, shocking like pain stop? I am supposed to return to work on June 9 and can't see how that will work as I am on my feet all the time. Do I ever stop wearing the orthotics or that something that will be a permant thing?

Thanks

Re: Open Plantar Fasciotomy

Dr. Z on 5/29/03 at 21:35 (120325)

Hi

This type of post operative pain will come and go. I find it may last one week, one months or sometime off and on for six months. Continue to wear yours orthosis so long as they comfortable and not causing foot pain.
Sometimes motrin 800 mgs twice daily may help your specific type of post op pain you are talking about. In addition contrast baths are helpful. That is five minutes of heat then five minuts of cold then finish with heat again. Since I stopping doing pf releases and have replaced chronic pf surgery with ESWT it has been a long time since I have heard these complaints. They are part of the pf release healing process

frostymom on 5/31/03 at 13:15 (120518)

So is pain and burning in ball of foot normal after traditional PF release surgery? How long should that be expected? (8 days post op here)

april on 6/02/03 at 23:31 (120775)

Hmmmm, I think I remember having that pain in the ball of my foot after my surgery 5 yrs ago. I don't know if I had a complete release or not, but I think I did. In my experience, it's took time, alot of time, before all the pain and strange feelings went away. I now have no pain and I have never worn orthotics post surgery. I do remember all the months that I thought the surgery was the worst mistake, but it turned out good.

David Lafyatis on 6/04/03 at 20:27 (120978)

I have had a surgical release in one of my feet about 7 years ago, and it was a big mistake. My foot now feels even worse than it did before hand. I now also have PF in my other foot, but there is no way that I will have the surgery again.

My question: Does it make sense to have the ESWT on a foot where I already had surgery?

Dr. Z on 6/06/03 at 20:22 (121217)

Hi

This depends on what is causing the pain. Is this insertional pf or are you have pain everywhere do to the destruction of the plantar fascia support system during the gait cycle. We have performed ESWT on failed pf release where there is no nerve damage and there is trigger point pain on examination

Mary Ann on 6/19/03 at 20:33 (122403)

Hi,

I had plantar fascia release surgery on both of my feet last year (2002) I have been off of work since April 29th and I am now having burning pain in both feet in the middle of my feet, heel and ball of feet - along with the original pain I was experiencing before surgeries.

I am now being told that I have nerve damage and they are trying to find out where the nerve damage came from. I am now seeing a rheumatologist and they want to operate on my right knee in August to do arthroscopy surgery to check out my joints and see if I have arthritis. I have had all kinds of blood work - including lead, arsenic, lymes etc. all came back negative.

Since the surgeries I have pain all through my body - in all of my joints - including both of my wrists - carpal tunnel syndrome.

My question is what can I do to get rid of this pain and burning and tingling in my toes and feet?
Could this nerve damage have come from the plantar fascia surgery?
What kind of a doctor should I see to get rid of this horrible problem that has taken over my quality of Life?
I really would appreciate a professional opinion from you.
Thanks, Mary Ann