Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs- does Coral Calcium help?- 3 questions

Posted by Tom A. on 5/30/03 at 03:58 (120340)

Hello,
I am a 6'9' American who played pro basketball for Swiss teams for 7 years. Until my heel spur pain last fall (Oct. 2002), I still played for fun in lower divisions in Switz.- that makes about 35 years in all I have been playing basketball. I played baseball (relief pitcher) for some 20 years too- until I was a senior in college.

I have had 4 knee operations (ACL in '93, meniscus, and again in Nov. 2002 for cartilage chips clean-up). During my Nov. 2002 knee operation, the sports docs shot cortisone into my heel spur and that covered the pain until 6 weeks ago. My knee is fine again but gradually the heel spur pain has come back. And I have done relatively little activity since that knee cartilage arthroscopy outside of a lot of golf which I still do.

I have had a sit-down desk job in computers for the last 20 years.

Using Yahoo and Google's Search fucntions on internet, I typed in 'heel spurs' and many sites promoting Coral Calcium came up.

Can you please give me your opinion on this product, which, on the sites such as:
http://www.cures4you.net
is said to be a miracle supplement curing heel spurs and more.

1- Does Coral Calcium really help?
2- Why is it not mentioned anywhere on heelspurs.com?
3- Is there any danger in taking it?

Just to mention them- I am also now having ESWTs, reflexology massages, and I have had special shoe inserts made for me by a sports orthopedist who does the same for the top Swiss tennis players.

Thanks.

Tom A.- age 52
Switzerland

Re: Heel Spurs- does Coral Calcium help?- 3 questions

Pauline on 5/30/03 at 14:40 (120410)

You can read about Coral Calcium from Quackwatch on the web site listed below. I personally think it's another way for someone to make their fortune.

My endocrinologist who has provided many of the studies for the FDA on bone building drugs would tell you like he told me it's a form of Calcium
Carbonate and there are safer, better and cheaper ways to get it, but people will always believe what they want to believe.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral.html

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/30/03 at 14:50 (120412)

I agree with Pauline. There was an expose on one of the news channels about the infomercial on coral calcium and had nutritional experts that stated that all the claims were basically ridiculous. Additionally, the host of the infomercial has done time for fraud and the guy hawking the coral calcium is presently under investigation. Bottom line: save your money and don't spend it on those products.

Pauline on 5/30/03 at 14:56 (120414)

Just a note for anyone who is interested the Quackwatch site is a very informative and interesting one to visit from time to time. If your looking for good information check it out. You'll not be wasting your time.

Tom A. on 5/30/03 at 15:30 (120425)

Pauline,
Thanks for your answer.
Tom A.

Tom A. on 5/30/03 at 15:31 (120426)

Dr. Wander,
Thanks for your comments.
Tom A.

Cyndi T. on 6/01/03 at 14:29 (120632)

I went to the website, and I think he defintely has an agenda. He seems to pooh pooh anything not considered 'mainstream', including Traditional Chinese medicine. Sorry, but I am much too well read to go for that.