Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about Soncur with Cardiac pacemaker implants

Posted by Dr. Z on 5/31/03 at 14:48 (120534)

I have been told that the soncur is and can be used in the presence of cardiac pacemaker. I reviewed the labeling for this machine and there is a pre-caution . It is my opinion that using ESWT whether high or low is not a safe idea in the patient that has a cardiac pacemaker
Has any doctor have anything to add about this. Has any patient undergone ESWT treatment that has a implanted cardiac pacemaker.
Is this a new practice with the soncur ESWT machine.?
This really took Dr. Z by shock when I heard this. I would like to know if this is being done.

Re: Question about Soncur with Cardiac pacemaker implants

Pauline on 5/31/03 at 15:11 (120538)

What about the person who has a kidney stone and a pacemaker. Could they use it on his stone?

Peter R on 6/01/03 at 06:28 (120588)

I will quote the Dornier manual as an answer to this ?. Section 1, Clinical application, para 1.1, 'There are no know contraindcations to ESWT with the EPOS(R) ULTRA for treatment of plantar faciitis'

Scott D on 6/01/03 at 08:21 (120593)

Pauline,
Yes, we do lithotripsy on patients with pacemakers. There is an established protocol to follow which involves having a rep from the pacemaker company on location to revise the settings on the pacemaker pre and post treatment. We also have a cardiologist on standby in the building. It's a safe procedure when the proper steps are taken and we have been doing it for over 10 years. There is no reason that ESWT cannot be performed in the same manner.

Dr. Z on 6/01/03 at 09:17 (120596)

Scott,

Have you done this with ESWT patients yet.

Dr. Z on 6/01/03 at 09:23 (120597)

It is under pre-cautions. The label section from the FDA list it as a pre-caution. The international Society for Shockwave Therapy list it as contra-indication.

Scott D on 6/01/03 at 10:06 (120603)

Nope, haven't had the need to yet.