Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglund's deformity surgery

Posted by Mandy B on 5/31/03 at 14:49 (120535)

I'm having surgery on my right foot to correct haglund's deformity. Im also having Achilles lengthening. The surgery is June 17th and my biggest fear is how I will feel when I wake up. Any insight on the surgery would help. Thanks

Re: haglund's deformity surgery

mike on 5/31/03 at 19:10 (120559)

Hi Mandy I had the same surgery 2001. My outcome was not good. Seams like I traded one pain for another. The back of my heel hurt before surgery now I have a tight feeling in calf and my foot and ankle swells every day and makes my ankle hurt. If I knew this would happen I would not have had the surgery. The Dr. said the blood vessels got week while I was casted for 5 weeks and now they dont push blood back up my leg as good as before. the heel pain was not as bad as the ankle pain I now have at the end of the day when it swells. After Wake up from surgery no pain because Dr. put alot antiseptic in and I had no pain until cast came off and I started walking for weeks. The only problem I had was vomiting from general anast. He did not lenghten tendon however it was the calf which moved the tendon closer to heel. Hope it works better for you than it did for me. Mike