Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tummy Sleeping Question

Posted by Ken M on 5/31/03 at 19:31 (120560)

I've been wondering if sleeping on my stomach is contributing to my PF pain. Here's my theory:
By laying on my stomach with my toes pointed toward the mattress, my feet are forced to extend and rotate. It seems to me this extension causes constant contraction of the calf (or at least no stretching) that could contribute to morning tightness. I've tried sleeping on my back, but cannot. So, lately I've tried dangling my toes off the end of my bed to reduce the contraction of the calf.
I can't say I can tell any difference, but I wonder if others have knowledge of this situation.

Also, my PF pain was preceded by months of first-step snapping of my Achilles tendon. I didn't know it at the time, but it has recurred occasionally for me to observe. So, can anyone tell me if this is typical of PF sufferers or is it possible it's the tendon raking over an actual spur?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

Re: Tummy Sleeping Question

Suzanne D on 6/01/03 at 13:53 (120627)

Hi, Ken. As far as your question about sleeping on your tummy, I can say from my experience that it really hurt to sleep that way when I had bad PF pain. I have always been a 'tummy sleeper' although I know that is not advised for healthy backs. I often turn that way in my sleep even when I start out on my side.

However, when my pain was bad, I would wake up from the pain of my foot being flexed in that postition. I, too, would scoot to the end of the bed and hang my feet over which seemed to relieve the pain at the time. I tried to make a conscious effort to sleep on my side.

I knew I was getting better when I realized that I was able to roll over on my tummy at night without having pain from my feet being flexed.

I didn't use one, but I have read of many people's success with sleeping in a night splint which prevents the foot from flexing out straight.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :)

P.S. You will probably get more responses if you post your question on the Treatments/Symptoms/Products page of this message board. This one is used mostly for posing questions to the webmaster of this site.