Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics don't seem to work

Posted by georgia S on 5/31/03 at 22:37 (120582)

i have orthotics prescribed by a podiatrist. they were made by plaster put around my foot (not standing). it has helped with my bunion problem, but now my heels hurt. it mostly hurts on the inside above (not under the heel). the dr. says it may be my shoes. i need stability shoes but they are built up too much and its banging on that tendon that runs up the side. seems to me like the orthotic is just too hard. are these type of orthotics the best kind? can orthotics be returned and your money back? thank you.

Re: orthotics don't seem to work

Pauline on 6/01/03 at 08:33 (120594)

Orthotics are usually not returnable unless you have made special arrangement prior to purchasing them with your doctor. That's one of the disadvantages most posters complain about. They spend the money and if the orthotic cannot be worn it was a very expensive experiment.

They can, however, be adjusted. Why not ask your doctor to adjust your current orthotic to see if it brings you any relief.

There are many posters who found orthotics caused more problems than they helped, had additional pain from them and accepted the fact that they cannot wear them. At this point it's your decision.

Orthotics can and are made of many different materials, they do take a break in period which you seem to already have gone through. The least expensive approach is to see if an adjustment is in order, try wearing them with a different shoe, or fabricate a pad of soft material yourself placing it in the area you think needs help and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes we are our own best detectives.

Best of luck.

Re: orthotics don't seem to work

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/01/03 at 09:25 (120599)

Most doctor's goals are to relieve patient's discomforts and have satisfied patients. I'm sure that if you discuss your concerns with your podiatrist, he/she will be more than willing to make some adjustments. Did the orthoses relieve the original problem, prior to causing the heel discomfort? If the original problem was solved, the orthoses may just need some adjustments. In our office, if a patient is truly unhappy with the orthoses, and adjustments have been made and the patient's expectations are reasonable, we will refund the money. I will make ever attempt to solve the patient's problem and have a happy patient. I'm confident that most doctors also prescribe to this philosophy. Speak with your doctor, inform her/him of your concerns and I'm sure you'll find an acceptable resolution to the problem.

Re: what about cortison shots?

georgia S on 6/01/03 at 17:56 (120658)

thanks for your help. my dr. said the next step would be cortizone shots. are these dangerous? he hesitates to adjust the orthotic cause once its shaved down, its hard to go back to original one. im planning on taking a week off from running at the end of the month. do you think i should wait and see if that helps. maybe it needs to heal itself. thanks.

Re: what about cortison shots?

Dr. Z on 6/01/03 at 20:53 (120677)

If you are running then you need to stop now and find out what is going on. Every step you take you place your full weight on the foot. This can cause micro trauma and sometimes rupture of the plantar fascia