Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 weeks post ESWT and a question

Posted by Molly H on 6/03/03 at 21:56 (120845)

Hi ~
I had ESWT 3 weeks ago (May 14). They used the Dornier machine. I have had periods of no pain at all and periods of a lot of pain. I had both of my feet done. My right foot is much better (still hurts) but, my left which was always worse than my right hurts a lot (in the insertion part of the heel)especially when I have been on it a lot. I work at a health club selling memberships and I am on my feet a lot @ work. The one thing I have definately noticed is my arches are NOT sore and they are much softer! They used to be like guitar strings!
My question is for the Dr.s or those of you who have had shockwave : Will they continue to improve? Is a lot of heel pain normal after 3 weeks? After reading a lot of the reports about patients who have had shockwave is, most improved RIGHT Away (within 2 weeks) and others improved slightly, others were the same at 2 weeks as they were at 4,6, 8 etc.
I am doing the stretches they recommended and riding a spinning bike 4 days a week. (I used to run 25 miles a week) AND I am dying to get back to running. I look forward to any responses any of you may have! Thanks!
Molly

Re: 3 weeks post ESWT and a question

Dr. Z on 6/03/03 at 22:51 (120849)

Hi Molly,
Did you have three sets of low energy with the dornier. IF so it takes about twelve weeks for resolution of pain. May need additional treatments If you had the one high energy with local regional nerve block per fDA protocol then can take 12 weeks up to one years for resolution of pain.

Avoid high impact sports and long shopping trips to the market. IF the stretching is causing pain stop the stretching. Heat is very important to help with the increase blood flow. May have to take adavil or motrin for the pain if it is getting severe. Time to rest , take it easy. No going with shoes. Move the feet up and down anytime you are resting and start to walk . IF there are any additional questions let us know. One more thing taping is very helpful and proper shoes is a must

Molly H on 6/03/03 at 23:44 (120851)

Thanks for your reply Dr. Z. I don't know if it was high energy or low. How would I find this out? All I know is they used an ultra sound and spent @ 20-25 minutes on each foot. They were using this machine as a demo the because my pod thought it was more effective than The Ossatron and was thinking of buying it. They used a local nerve block. The literature I got said I could return to running after 4-6 weeks post.
I don't think the pain is caused by stetching. All I have been wearing is my running shoes ALL the time (with my orthotics).
I do think I am better than before ... do people who have had low energy see results within 2 weeks? Oh the company was United ShockWave Therapy if that helps at all.

Dr. Z on 6/04/03 at 00:31 (120853)

Hi

You had the High energy FDA protocol . I have alot of experience with the dornier and this treatment. It can take up to sixteen weeks. The pain can be nothing one day and increased at times. Most ESWT will have gradual improvement over a sixteen week period. Reduce your activity if possible if the pain is increased. So heat, rest, no bare feet. and time is all that we can do. Taping and or elastic ankle support is helpful.
Where did you have treatment?

Peter R on 6/04/03 at 08:00 (120863)

How come you have recomended that Molly use an NSAID? It was my impression that ESWT starts an inflamatory condition that leads to healing and that the use of NSAID's are counter productive?

Molly H on 6/04/03 at 10:19 (120892)

Thanks, Dr. Z.
I had the treatment in Fort Collins, CO where I live. My pod's name is Dr. Michael Thomas.

Peter R on 6/04/03 at 11:14 (120901)

Along with recomending NSAID's Dr Z. says 'no going with shoes' I am really puzzeled about Dr. Z's info.

Dr. Z on 6/04/03 at 11:35 (120902)

There are many difference in opinion on this topic. Mine is you can use them. NSAID doesn't stop the inflamatory process, they do reduce it but don't stop it. There are some great discussions about this topic in the search engines if you are interested. We are using the NSAID as a pain medication

Dr. Z on 6/04/03 at 11:35 (120903)

Should read always wear shoes in the house no bare feet allowed.