Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sammy Sosa

Posted by Kathy G on 6/04/03 at 08:39 (120872)

If he indeed has been using corked bats all along then it will completely destroy his record, as far as I'm concerned. If this was just a practice bat, as he said, then examination of his other bats should help his case. Nonetheless, shouldn't his practice bat have been put away during game time? How many of his homers were hit with a practice bat that he 'accidentally' picked up?

It's quite sad. He is a role model to many children and they will be so disappointed.

Whenever a hero falls, it's sad to see children's reactions. I remember how crushed my son was when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive. My son wasn't sure which he thought was worse; indiscriminant sex or drug use. He just knew that one of his heroes was human and that was tough to accept.

And I'll never forget the night of OJ's infamous car chase. He and his then college-aged pals sat in our living room with looks of shock and disbelief on their faces. We were just as shocked. One of my most exciting memories was watching OJ play against the Patriots. He set some record but I don't remember which one. So many players have set records while playing against the Patriots!! :D

Re: Sammy Sosa

john h on 6/04/03 at 09:48 (120884)

An interesting side line on the corked bat is that a study conducted by a Physics Department at one of the major eastern universities show that a corked bat really does not make the ball go further. The bat is lighter which increases bat speed but at the same time there is much less mass striking the ball. The sweet spot on the bat is also made smaller.

Pitchers routinely scuff the ball, use spitters, use substances they hide on the bill of their caps or other places. and are caught on occasion. I always wondered why not much is made of these violations. This is probably much more effective than deciding the outcome of a game than one player using a corked bat. If they really wanted to see a long home run the majors would use aluminum bats but then there would be some dead pitchers from hard hit line drives.

Cheating is rather common in our society in every phase. Not many perfect people around. We seem to sometimes take joy in seeing the powerfull fall.

marie on 6/04/03 at 11:07 (120899)

I hope that it was an accident that he picked up the wrong bat. If not it is very disappointing. Misleading the fans who admire you is pretty low. Well we will see what happens.

marie

Peter R on 6/04/03 at 16:15 (120956)

If you want to find cheaters just look at how many podiatrists lost their licenses and even went to jail for medicare fraud in the late 80's early 90's.
That's a contributing factor, I'm sure, in insurance co's looking very closely at what they pay podies.

Rick R on 6/05/03 at 07:27 (121010)

Hey John, great to hear you are a Cub fan! I have suffered similarly my whole life. Last night they reported during the game coverage that about an hour before game time Sosa was informed that they didn't find any WMD's..... oops I was clicking around, got confused, ahem I mean cork in his other bats. I wouldn't take that as the last word because evidentially we are not looking for the usual cork but some other magic junk. Who knows how it looks on an xray. But it was on TV so it must be true!

As for the physics thing, since the energy imparted on the ball is mass times the square of velocity, giving up a bit of mass for a bit of speed sounds like a winner. I'd be curious to see how they concluded it didn't help. There may be a point where the bat speed limitation has more to do with swinging your pumped up steroid juiced arms and hips and the bat weight becomes an insignificant variable for speed compared to the loss of moving less mass in the corked bat.

Did you see what Mark Grace did?

Rick

Kathy G on 6/05/03 at 08:08 (121013)

I'm not a follower of baseball, I must admit. Occasionally I'll read an article in the Sports section and I pick up a little from the sports on radio but I seldom sit down and watch a game. Sometimes when the Red Sox are playing, I'll watch a little. But I must say that this story has caught my attention.

Since all seventy-six of his bats were xrayed and showed no corking, one would have to believe him. But having read the article in the Globe this morning that said exactly what John said, why in the world would he want to use a corked bat for warm-up? Would it be easier on his body to use that kind of bat during batting practice and thus give his fans a good show without taking the toll on his body?

It still hurts his reputation. From what I've read, there is so much cheating in baseball. I guess it's very hard to actually catch the pitchers who cheat but easier to pick up on a corked bat that breaks. Bad luck for Sammy to be the one who got caught. But I just can't understand why an athlete with his talent and size would even consider using a corked bat.

john h on 6/05/03 at 10:52 (121029)

Best case scenerio I have ever read is that a corked bat may increase the distance by 1%. Sammy routinely hits 450' home runs. That would make the ball go an extra 4 1/2 feet. A pitcher like Gaylord Perry who admittedly used a spitter his entire career can make a real difference. I watched the umps catch a pitcher throwing against the Cubs with some vasoline in his cap one year. Pitchers grow long nails to scratch the ball, the catchers try to doctor the balls. Everyone is looking for an advantage. It has really been that way since baseball begin. Ty Cobb used to sit on the edge of the dugout sharping his spikes to intimidate infielders he would be slinding into. Sammy has been to bat over 7000 times and broken hundreds upon hundreds of bats and there was never any cork found in them. The bat he hit #500 with is hanging in Harry Carrys Resturant in Chicago. Yesterday they took it down and had it x-rayed and yes it was ok. At 245 lbs of pure muscle he does not need a corked bat. Unfortuunately this will live with him forever. Fans do things everday that alter the game. If you are an opposing outfielder in Wrigley you can expect a face full of beer when you go to the wall to catch a fly. How about that kid that reached over the wall to catch a flyball hit by the Yankees. It was called a homerun and it changed the outcome of the game. He became a hero. Seems like I recall an irate woman who came on the field and shot the Cubs 1st baseman Eddie Watkis many years ago. Coaches routinely kick dirt on the umpires. Players bust up everything in the dugout and lockerroom with bats when things go wrong. I saw some manager pick up second base and throw it in the dugout. The tough guys break the bats over their knees when they strike out. Hitters some times chase pitchers with a bat. In the big scheme of things Sammy's corked bat is no big deal but like Martha Stewart he is high profile and it will follow him forever.

JudyS on 6/06/03 at 11:42 (121136)

A question re: Sosa's bat - if the goal is to stuff it with cork, making it lighter, producing more bat speed, why not just use a lighter-weight bat to begin with?

john h on 6/06/03 at 11:44 (121137)

Very good Judy. A lot of other people ask the same question. Sammy uses a 34' bat. Babe Ruth used a 43' bat

JudyS on 6/06/03 at 11:45 (121138)

As much as I respect Sammy Sosa, it's really hard for me to believe that he didn't know what bat he was using. I've been playing baseball and softball for many years and so has my husband. We know lots and lots of competative players. Our bats are practically holy. We KNOW, without a doubt, which bat we want to use and are using. It's hard for me to believe that a major-leaguer would make that kind of mistake.

Pauline on 6/06/03 at 12:26 (121146)

Good point Judy, also the bat was clearly marked with a C. I'm hoping for an honest mistake if that's possible.