Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I went for a walk yesterday!

Posted by Kathy G on 6/04/03 at 09:01 (120876)

Now, that might not sound like a big deal to the rest of you, but for me, it was the first time I've actually set out and walked since last October. I only walked for fifteen minutes and went .7 miles but it's the farthest I've gone in one stretch for a long time. I've probably walked as much, or more, in the course of a day while food shopping or going to the mall but this was important to me.

My feet hurt, of course, but I'm going to attempt to do this every other day for a while and see what happens. The pain wasn't that bad last night and my heels hurt more than usual now that I've been up for a few hours but I'm going to give it a try. I've decided that if my feet are going to hurt; I may as well make an attempt to keep the rest of my body somewhat functional!

I also crocheted for half an hour or so and it didn't kill the arthritis in my hands. It hurt but it didn't cause that much extra pain. This hand/shoulder arthritis thing is new to me and I'm just learning how to gauge my activities. When I go to the doctor in a few weeks and get the cortisone shot, I need to find out how to treat this whole thing. I'm assuming that osteoarthritis is a progressive condition but that by using your hands, or whatever part of your body is afflicted, you just risk more pain, not more loss of cartilage. One thing I learned; the damp weather sure makes it worse! I'm hoping he can give me some pointers on how to proceed from here. There are countless websites. I checked out some of the message boards but I am spoiled by the layout of this one. It's so much easier to use! One of the arthritis boards is in the process of redesigning their message boards so maybe it will be easier when they finish.

I went to my chiropractor yesterday for my back and he agreed that it was highly unlikely that I had spondylitis. He said this poor rheumatologist just doesn't know me. If he did, he'd know that I suffer from 'Kathy-itis!' Man, even my chiropractor has no respect for me!

And I promise, no more new threads today!

Re: I went for a walk yesterday!

marie on 6/04/03 at 09:50 (120886)

Congratulations!!!!! I started walking just a little bit every day last summer. The distance you walked may not be far but it is like crossing a mountain when your feet are bad! We all understand that one! HURRAY YOU DID IT!

marie

Re: I went for a walk yesterday!

Suzanne D on 6/04/03 at 10:21 (120893)

It most certainly DOES sound like a big deal, Kathy! Congratulations! =D> There is nothing that gives more hope than being able to do something - however small it might be - that you weren't able to do. And .7 mile is not a small thing!

It's always seemed to me to be a delicate balance between not doing too much and going on and trying to see what one can do. Carole always helped me with her stance of 'doing a little less than what you think you can do'. That thought has stopped me from overdoing sometimes.

It's another rainy day here today...We're beginning to feel like we live in a rain forest around here!

Suzanne :)

Re: That is awesome, Kathy

Pam S. on 6/04/03 at 12:50 (120916)

Kathy:
I am so happy for you that you were able to walk like that. Just getting out in the fresh air and walking is so 'healing' in a way - no matter how short it was. Sometimes when I walk I use it almost as a meditation of sorts and I just zone out and try not to think about anything.

I hope your hand is not giving you too much pain. I plan on asking this therapist I am seeing for my feet if this myofacial realease could help your hand. I noticed on her card it says certified hand therapist. I plan on having her work on my arm too. She believes this tissue release is really important in pain control. I do not really understand enought about it yet to write intelligently.

I have given up on it ever getting warm here. I cannot even get motivated to buy any annuals. We even broke a record for 30 something degrees.

Take care.. Oh by the way - do you all have any ideas for college finals care package that would not have a zillion calories HA THX!!!Pam

Bev on 6/04/03 at 13:45 (120930)

Pam S.,

I sure know what you mean about this weather. After being in that hot weather you were in with your daughter and I was in on vacation, and coming back home to this cold, it is so depressing. I don't dare put out tons of money on flowers and have them freeze on me. I will wait till it warms up a lot more than this that's for sure.
My niece is a massage therapist and did some treatments on my feet when we were there - felt really painfull at first , however , she knew what she was doing, and it was better as she went along. She said if I stayed down there she would work on me every day and she could do wonders for me.That would have been great, however we had to return home :( What is the myofacial release you are having? It is massage therapy too,deeper tissue, correct? What are you having it for? Is it good for your fibro?
You stay warm and have a nice day. :) Bev

Pam S. on 6/04/03 at 14:38 (120941)

Bev:
This is so hard to explain but I will try. Yes, it helps fibro. The therapist says it is like peeling an onion with your tissue. She talks alot about my tight 'restrictions'. Sometimes she pulls on my legs up in the air and to the side - like a traction type thing. One time the pulled on my TOE and it killed. The next time it did not hurt at all. Yes, it is for my tarsal tunnel and my PF.

I am sorry I have to take my 14 yr old to TARGET now. MORE later.

NOW if I were Sharon this explanation would have sounded totally
polished and professional. SORRY - Where are you Sharon???
I promise to share more with you. I would even be happy to mail you some literature they have there. Who knows what works for whom. There is so much out there is is mind boggling. I will be home later Pam

Bev on 6/04/03 at 15:46 (120949)

Pam,

Sharon had to go to Washington State to go through her sisters things that were left to her in her sisters will. She is going through a very trying time right now and has been in my thoughts and prayers. She is such a sweet person and so helpful to all of us on this board , we really miss her, don't we :) She should be home next week.

Kathy G on 6/04/03 at 15:52 (120951)

That's right, Bev. How thoughtful of you to remember. I will be thinking of her, too. It was going to be a painful journy both physically and emotionally.

Re: i am so sorry for Sharon

Pam S. on 6/04/03 at 18:28 (120968)

I had no idea that Sharon's sister had passed away. I am thinking and praying for her. I know she has not been feeling well either so this is so hard. Did this happen recently?

Yes, Sharon is amazing. She was one of the first to answer my questions on this board and I was just so impressed with her knowledge. Is she a nurse? I just feel so bad for her.

I truly will share more with you Bev. Just crazy around here. Not much time on this computer for me because my daughter, l4, is in the middle of finals. More later.

ps. I hope Sharon has a wonderful relative who can give her massages too!!!!! (I hope she had good help moving things around too...)

marie on 6/04/03 at 18:46 (120972)

Yes I've been thinking of her too. Sharon is a very nice person. Well lets hope she has the strength to get through this without it affecting her health.

Re: Thinking of Sharon...

Suzanne D on 6/04/03 at 21:00 (120981)

Thanks for reminding us, Bev. You do a good job of keeping people and facts straight! I remember now that Sharon was going to settle up her sister's estate.

I have had to deal with a houseful of memories and material posessions that belonged to my parents who died a few months apart several years ago. I remember the first peace I had in the situation was when we were able to help a family who lost their home to fire. We boxed up the entire kitchen and took it to them. (I think I may have told that story before; sometimes I think I've told all my stories already, and you all are probably tired of reading them!) It is a hard task she is facing, and she is in my thoughts and prayers. If any of you hear from her, let her know she is being remembered.

Re: Thinking of Sharon...

JudyS on 6/06/03 at 11:19 (121130)

Suzanne - keep those stories comin'! Even if they are repeats, although I don't recall any, they're just as good the second time around!

I have a similar story to yours. When my dad became ill, in his house trailer in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, Arizona, my sisters and I elected to take him back to Michigan where most of the family is. Then it was my job to drive eight hours from my home in San Diego to his trailer to empty it. I intended to take about a week to do so. About three hours after I arrived, my sis called me from Michigan - my pop had passed away suddenly. And there I was, two and a half hours from the nearest airport, with only shorts, sandles and tank tops with me - how was I going to get to Michigan in a hurry? And I had barely started on the trailer! The weather was unbearable, he had no airconditioning, and the whole place, because he was a packrat, was really depressing so I didn't want to have to go back again. So.....I worked well in to the night to seperate things that I though my sibs and I would want to keep, I asked my dad's elderly neighbor-lady if there was a church in this tiny town and did she know the pastor. She contacted him and I made a deal with him - if he and some parishoners would empty the trailer and clean up the grounds, they could keep anything - including my dad's two cars. Done deal. They also loaded up my Explorer for me. I drove the eight hours back to San Diego where John had my bag packed and plane reservations made. I had about two hours in San Diego, then was on my way to Michigan....just a bit pooped out! But I'll never forget how those dozen men from that local church showed up and took care of business so quickly and efficiently. It turned out that a new parishioner, who was down on his luck, was able to use a car, clothes and tools.

Re: Judy...

Suzanne D on 6/06/03 at 14:17 (121158)

That's an inspiring story, Judy! And how good that you had the thought to ask about a church that might help in those difficult circumstances. I like it when bad times end up working out for some good for someone who needs help. It helps the sorrow of the moment, doesn't it?

I always liked it when Mr. T said, 'I love it when a plan comes together!' :) That doesn't completely apply to these situations, but it always seems to come to my mind!

Thanks for sharing your story,