Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RE: Myofascial release

Posted by Mar on 6/04/03 at 17:56 (120966)

Has anyone heard of myofascial release or had it done? Someone mentioned it to me and a search on the web said it is used for PF, among other things. Mar

Re: RE: Myofascial release

CELIA on 6/06/03 at 14:34 (121168)

Mar, I get this treatment called Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) which as done wonders for my feet. I'm able to run again and, although it's taken me a year to get some relief, I've had PF for five! My chiropractor performs this type of release which is similar to the myofascial release. You may do a search on A.R.T. because it's been mentioned many times on this message board. There is also a web site: http://www.activereleasetechnique.com/ which would probably give you some info on it. It's a painful treatment for me, but others don't think so. I'll continue this as I've tried everything medical treatment and every gadget in the book!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Re: RE: Myofascial release

CELIA on 6/06/03 at 14:36 (121169)

Mar, I get this treatment called Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) which has done wonders for my feet. I'm able to run again and, although it's taken me a year to get some relief, I've had PF for five years! My chiropractor performs this type of release which is similar to the myofascial release. A.R.T. is a little more intense, though. You may do a search on A.R.T. because it's been mentioned many times on this message board. There is also a web site: http://www.activereleasetechnique.com/ which would probably give you some info on it. It's a painful treatment for me which takes only five minutes to do, but others don't think it's painful for them. I guess everyone has a different case. I'll continue this as I've tried every medical treatment and every gadget in the book!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Re: RE: Mar, read the second message! I screwed up.

CELIA on 6/06/03 at 14:37 (121171)

I haven't used this message board in a while. The second message is better and I was able to correct my grammar.

Mar on 6/06/03 at 16:40 (121197)

Thanks Celia -- yes I've seen ART mentioned before -- didn;t realize what it was though -- I'll check it out. Mar

Pam S. on 6/06/03 at 17:01 (121201)

Mar:
I am currently trying myofascial release. I just began so cannot speak that well about it yet. It is not the same as massage but a release of the restrictions in the fascia or tissue. The therapist is an occupational therapist much like a physical therapist. She pulls on my feet and my legs in all sorts of ways. She says foot problems are often caused by problems up higher meaning the calves, hips or even in some cases the lower back. I do believe that after having only foot work for 3 years. My hips are out of line so she is working on that also. Keep in mind, I have no mass in the tunnel...just wierd feet that are very flat and pronate. I am too sensitive for orthodics. I also have fibro. I figure this work cannot hurt. It is a bit of a drive and takes my time.

There is a reflexologist in the office so I saw him after my appt for 30 minutes. This was just foot work but WOW what a pleasure that was...like a religious experience. He was amazing.

Anyway, I have worked on my body all day today. These are things I do not tell my husband. HAAAA

Time will tell whether this helps my nerve pain. She says she has seen is work after about 15 sessions. My insurance covers 80%. As time goes on I will know and understand more. Any other questions just ask me!!!Pam

Mar on 6/06/03 at 17:22 (121202)

Pam -
How did you go about finding someone who does the myofascial release? I live in NJ -- anywhere near you??? Mar

Pam S. on 6/06/03 at 17:55 (121206)

I live near Chicago. I can ask my therapist next week. She was trained by this man named John Barnes who is the the US expert. I am sure there is a therapist in your area.

I have a friend who has bad fibromyalgia and this type of therapy really helped her. I have had the card for years and just decided to try it this summer while I have more time. This therapy really helped my friend, thou not with her feet. I did not do this sooner because it is a 30 minute drive and I was too lazy. Who knows what the outcome will be.

After the sessions I feel tired and she warned me I might feel worse for a few sessions. I am not surprised by this. My legs and feet do feel much less stiff. The sessions are not relaxing like a massage would be. Sometimes it is rather painful. One day she pulled and pulled on my big toe which had alot of these 'restrictions'

If I were not very happily married I would consider running off with this reflexologist. I am serions. That was amazing HAAAAA Have you ever had that done.

I promise I will ask about a therapist in your area. Which part of New Jersey> Pam

Mar on 6/07/03 at 07:25 (121240)

Pam --

Well, I live in northern NJ (Bergen Co) but in the summer I live in south Jersey (Ocean Co). So if this takes several weeks to do I'd rather do it in south Jersey during July and August. But I'll take any recommendations you can get and I'll work around it. Thanks. John Barnes is exactly the name that was given to me, but I see his clinic is in Paoli, PA which I don;t think is near me! Never been to a reflexologist -- hmmm.... Thanks - Mar

Re: to Mar

Pam S. on 6/07/03 at 11:10 (121249)

Mar:
John Barnes actually travels throughout the US training therapists.
I feel sure you will be able to find someone who has trained under him. This place I go is sort of an out of the way building no one would know existed. It is all so word of mouth. I do need a dr. prescription for this which I am still trying to get. My ortho foot/ankle dr. has not signed this. I feel she does not know what this is so maybe she is leery of signing.

I will ask on Monday for you. You could also call that clinic where John Barnes is if you know the number or can get it. I bet they could guide you to the BEST person near you. You might be surprised.
I have a feeling my therapist will know. She has about 15 certificates from him on her wall.

Just for the record, I feel so great today. I woke up with no pain. I am afraid to say this. My feet feel great and I have no burning. One foot is a little sore but they did alot of work yesterday. Better dash but you will hear from me later. You never know what will work for you but I feel one should never give up. Have a great weekend Pam

Mar on 6/07/03 at 19:28 (121273)

Thanks Pam -- I emailed the place in PA -- I'll see if they respond. I appreciate your asking for me on Monday -- have a good Sunday -- and glad to hear you had no pain today :-) Mar

carmen h on 6/10/03 at 09:31 (121433)

I had both ART MF release.

Mar on 6/10/03 at 15:54 (121483)

Any help from either one? Mar