Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by Jill T. on 6/04/03 at 20:49 (120980)

From reading these boards over the last several months I learned that people have very mixed feelings about surgery as a treatment for TTS. So, I want to start by saying that I understand the risks of TTS release surgery. I understand that it is often not successful and can lead to more problems. I am also fully aware that before jumping into surgery it should be given a lot of consideration, attempts at conservative treatment and opinions of more than one doctor.

With that being said....

Through an MRI, my podiatrist has determined that the cause of my TTS is varicose veins. From what I've read on this board people who had TTS that was caused from varicose veins have had some success with surgery. Am I correct in assuming that the cause of TTS has a correlation to the success of the release surgery?

Re: Surgery

Pam S. on 6/04/03 at 22:30 (120993)

Jill:
There is a women who frequently responds on these boards who had TTS release successfully done due to a varicose vein. She is out of town now but I am sure she will be happy to discuss this with you when she returns.

From what I have read here, if there is a mass or varicose vein the success rate for this type of surgery is much higher. You are fortunate that they have found something. My MRI shows nothing so there is a big questions as to whether or not to have the surgery.

The surgery is not a piece of cake but if you are in alot of pain it is worth it I think. It just seems to take time to recover from but educate yourself about that as much as you can. For example, it takes several months to feel comfortable wearing a shoe because of the location of the incision.

There has been alot posted about this type of surgery on these boards so you can go back and read more info. I have only been readin these boards since Dec. Beware: This is addicting HA

Good luck in your decision. Have you tried any other therapies for pain? How much pain are you in?

lauriel on 6/05/03 at 11:14 (121034)

Jill, Sharon is the person I think Pa is talking about, and can give you great insight since her problem was also vericose veins, and has had success. I do thinkg after reading the many posts that the success rate is much higher if they find something like the vericose veins or tumors vs just positive nerve test signs. I had surgery in Dec due to a positive nerve test. I think these are much more inclined to be not as successful.
Laurie

chris on 6/05/03 at 15:43 (121051)

I had successful tts/pf surgery. If I remember correctly the doctor removed some fatty tissue/deposits that were surrounding the nerve. I want to say that I also had a vein too, but honestly, I can't remember.

I have been pain-free since the surgery in Nov '00 (well after the recovery, which took about 3 - 6 months).

cindyp on 6/05/03 at 22:42 (121090)

I had successful tts due to removal of a varicose vein. it can be done if you get the proper dr. to do it. get a orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle reconstruction. ask dr. z. for a good one.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/07/03 at 01:09 (121231)

Jill:

TTS surgery tends to have better results when there is an identifiable mass such as varicose veins as the culprit. Those cases in which no identifiable mass exists tend to have a somewhat lower success rate.

Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/07/03 at 01:14 (121232)

Jill:

PS It is also advantageous to be able to find a structure that may be placing pressure on the posterior tibial nerve BEFORE the surgery -- good move by your podiatrist. If you are comfortable with him and his abilities, he may be the best person to do the procedure.

Ed

Jill T. on 6/09/03 at 08:38 (121365)

Thank you all for your comments.

I am going through with the surgery. It is scheduled for June 19th.

Sharon W on 6/11/03 at 15:04 (121568)

Good luck to you in your surgery, Jill -- and the best of surgeons' skill, and speedy and complete healing afterward!

Sharon

Jill T. on 6/11/03 at 15:46 (121571)

Thank you for your kind words.

Sharon W on 6/11/03 at 17:00 (121577)

Jill,

I had TTS surgery to correct a varicose veins problem inside my tarsal tunnel. I'm glad I did.

Sharon