Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A 2 yr old dies

Posted by Necee on 6/04/03 at 22:21 (120990)

It's with a heavy heart that I write this.........
A sweet little 2 yr old boy died yesterday. He was left inside a van for 2 hours after an outing from a local day care center. The temperature was 93* outside. When they discovered he was missing, they found him lying unconsious inside the van.
This is becoming a real problem here, even today a mother left her 2 children inside a car while she shopped for groceries, the temperature was 92*.
I just can't imagine what these parents are thinking of!!! Obviously their children aren't on their minds. To simply forget about them is unbelievable!! This happened a few years ago, a mother had forgotten to take her infant to day care and instead went straight to work leaving her child inside her hot car all day! Only when she returned to her car at the end of the work day did she realize her tragic mistake. I still can't imagine this mother not once thinking about her child, if she had, this child would be alive today.

Necee

Re: A 2 yr old dies

marie on 6/04/03 at 22:36 (120995)

How truely tragic. II can't stand to hear about a child suffering. I am so shocked that in today's time with so much information out there that this still happens. Truely tragic.

Max K on 6/04/03 at 23:19 (120999)

I heard that on the radio. The dead boy's body was examined, his body temperature was 108F. In order to achieve that, the temperature inside the van must have been, I think, substantially higher, say, 130 or 140. This would still be consistent with an outside (in-the-shade) temperature of 92.

This charming practice of leaving toddlers to die in hot vehicles repeats itself every year. This summer, whenever I park in a big parking lot on a hot day, to look at the interiors of the vehicles as I walk by and watch for unattended small children. x-(

Max

Necee on 6/04/03 at 23:55 (121003)

Yes Max, I do the same thing myself. As the temperatures continue to rise, it's a good idea to keep a watchful eye out for children left alone in hot cars.

I'm reminded of a situation a few years ago.......I was walking towards a store entrance when I noticed a unattended car with 2 small children inside, the engine was running and so that really horrified me! I quickly went inside the store and summoned the manager, luckly there was an off-duty police officer working as a security guard inside the store, he quickly took control of the situation. It wasn't in the hot summertime, but the thought of those children possibly taking that running car out of park is scary.
Are children raising children these days? Sure does make you wonder.

Necee

marie on 6/05/03 at 07:55 (121012)

Well it's probably a good practice to keep a watchful eye for kids and pets in a parking lot especially in the summer. It's a good thing you took action, Necee. You'd be amzed at how many people walk by and don't do anything.

marie

Richard,C.Ped on 6/05/03 at 11:07 (121032)

I was hesitant to read this, seeing as though my daughter is 2. It is good to get the word out so people can keep a watchfull eye for children in need.

Richard

Suzanne D on 6/05/03 at 11:34 (121035)

Oh, how very, very sad. That breaks my heart.

Every year I feel more and more responsibility about taking my students on field trips. I don't feel comfortable going to the zoo like we used to - it is so spread out. I like to go to plays and performances and Abraham Lincoln's birthplace which is not far from here. It seems there is less risk in these ventures.

And even then I count the children over and over at every turn, it seems. I carry with me a list of the class and a small bell to ring if I need them to come to me quickly. Some of the younger teachers smile, and I think I seem a little overly cautious to them. But the responsibility is so great, and society is less friendly and safe on the whole.

Today is our last day of school - always a bittersweet time for me. One of my little boys said, 'I am going to miss you so much! But I think we can always be friends.' That was nice.

Suzanne :)

Necee on 6/05/03 at 13:25 (121040)

Walkie-talkies would be a good thing to take with you on your outings next time Suzanne.
Watching children should be taken VERY SERIOUSLY, and the fact that you count heads repeatedly, and are aware of situations around you is not being over-protective. I only wish those childcare workers had done what you do....that little boy would be alive right now.
Lets just hope and pray that this tragic event will heighten awareness to parents and childcare providers everywhere. The really sad thing is......it shouldn't take a situation like this to make people aware!!! That is what makes me so angry!!!!! People are so busy doing their own thing, that they never take the time to stop and think about anyone else.

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/03 at 14:42 (121047)

My daughter's preschool went to the San Diego zoo (back in 1982 when we lived there). There were two teachers and only about 12 three and four year olds. Two of them were identical twin brothers. All of the children held hands and were usually very good, but Sammy and Stevie were a handful and the exception to the rule.

After the field trip, Stevie was missing! They notified security, and showed them Sammy so that they'd know what the child looked like. They waited an hour, and no Stevie. So, they had to drive the other kids back to the preschool. Luckily, security found Stevey about an hour later. But I think the teachers probably STILL have nightmares about it.

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 6/05/03 at 21:16 (121082)

I imagine the teachers DO still have nightmares about that, Carole! Zoos are great places for children to go, but it is so easy for them to wander off from a group; that is why I don't want to take a class there. When I've gone in the past, I have put parents attending in charge of a group of no more than 4 children, but even then, I worried.

To change the subject, Carole, will you be having any more trips out to sea in the near future? I didn't know how often those trips take place.

Hope you're having a good week!
Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/03 at 00:56 (121096)

I'm having a great week. Yesterday and today, I attended an oceanography convention down at the Convention Center here in New Orleans, and that was very interesting. Tomorrow is my every-other-Friday-off, so I will have a long weekend to relax. Ah!

You will have even more time to rest. Even though (if my recollection is correct) you don't have the whole summer off, still you will have some time to unwind and decompress before school starts up again. That's one of the best aspects of teaching, in my opinion.

It's hard to know whether or not I'll be going to sea in the near future. There are no plans for me to go to sea, at present. Of course, one never knows what opportunities will arise. Nothing was planned last year either, and I ended up going to sea a couple of times. I'd love to go again.

I talked to another oceanographer yesterday who heard about the rough seas we had at sea last April. That brought back memories.

Carole C

john h on 6/06/03 at 09:47 (121117)

Carole as Otis Redding would say 'Im sitting on the dock of the bay watching the time go by'!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/03 at 10:17 (121123)

Life does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it. I wish I could live forever, and be forever young, so that I could do everything I would like to do.

The chance to go to sea twice last year was a real windfall for me as far as personal fulfillment goes. I had thought my seagoing days were behind me. You never know what life will bring.

Carole C

JudyS on 6/06/03 at 11:23 (121132)

Necee nothing compares to that kind of sad tragedy. And so, so easily preventable. It brings up the old philosophy that people should be licensed to become parents.

JudyS on 6/06/03 at 11:59 (121143)

John h, wasn't he was sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time and watching the tide roll away? Can you tell that I used my teenage years wisely by memorizing song lyrics? :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/06/03 at 13:28 (121155)

Yes, but he was 'Wasting Time.......' remember that part? :) So it all comes down to the same thing

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/06/03 at 14:19 (121161)

Glad you're having such a good week!

Re: Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay...

Suzanne D on 6/06/03 at 14:22 (121163)

I always liked 'Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay'. I had a Glen Campbell record which had that song on it. I also had Tijuana Brass (Not sure I spelled that correctly!) records which I really enjoyed. Anyone remember those?

Dorothy C. on 6/07/03 at 02:11 (121237)

It is tragic and horrifying. The question for our society to ask is: should we just tolerate this horrible neglect? Shouldn't the parents responsible for this be held accountable in the eyes of the law?
This is happening with increasing frequency all over the country every summer and it gets a lot of news coverage - so that after the first case, all responsible parents should have been hypervigilant. Instead, it is increasing. 'How to be a good parent'/how to take care of children and other vulnerable beings should be part of every school curriculum beginning in kindergarten and maybe in a generation or two, there will be some hope for kids.
Yes, everybody is tired and overworked - but everybody loves to talk about this as if it is some new phenomenon, as if our foremothers weren't working themselves ragged every day of the year. That's an immature, narcissistic point of view. In any case, once you have children, you don't get to take vacations from responsibility for them, whether you're tired or busy or harried or not - that's the deal.

Re: Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay...

marie on 6/08/03 at 21:28 (121333)

Oh yeah!!! Sittin' By the Dock of the Bay' is a favorite campfire song at our cabin. It's nice to have a hubby who plays guitar.