Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

are socks the problem?

Posted by Brendan S. on 6/05/03 at 08:59 (121017)

I've had PF on and off for two years and have been wearing prescription orthotics since April of last year. The pain would come and go, and a few months ago, I decided that I would do everything I could to get rid of the PF problem. For about three months, I've been stretching 3 times a day, going to accupuncture and icing my foot when needed. I've also stopped running and taken up swimming. My foot has felt much better.

A few weeks ago I decided not to wear socks with my orthotics and felt that my foot did not tire as easily as usual. So I stopped wearing socks. The pain gradually diminished and my foot began to feel stronger than it has in quite some time. But then, a few days ago, thinking that this whole sock thing was foolish, I wore socks (a new pair of pretty thick athletic socks). I only walked about 4 blocks and felt pain. I switched back to wearing no socks with the orthotics but have had heel pain since then.

I've read much about PF and know that what works and doesn't work can vary widely from person to person. But I've never read anything about socks causing problems. Any thoughts? Related experiences? Advice?

Re: are socks the problem?

Sandra D on 6/05/03 at 09:04 (121018)

Brendan...go for it, try anything that works. Sandra

alice f on 6/05/03 at 20:02 (121072)

can it be socks. i have had pain for awile now and so has my friend were trying some heel pads their gel and they said on the package they would help with heel spurs but theyre not. they also have a hole in the back for the heel spurs.

Celia on 6/06/03 at 14:25 (121164)

I've had PF for five years now and one thing I've learned is that the material to your socks does MATTER!!! I can't wear just anything. I am a big fan of THORLOS! That's all I wear. Of course, that doesn't mean that it would work for everyone. That would be too easy; right?! You may want to shop around, go to a sports store and try everything there. I've been in a sports store up to an hour, trying on EVERYTHING!! I don't listen to any salesperson giving me advice on what to guy. I LISTEN TO MY FEET!! Good luck!

Fred P on 10/01/05 at 05:20 (183880)

Benefits of socks are fictional. Without them, you feet can flex more easily (as they should) and that is the kind of gentle and persistent exercise and stretching your need to resolve faciitis.

Also, socks cause and trap moisture. This trapped moisture threatens shoes and boots -- and your skin. To keep skin dry, you need air circulation. Presto! Eliminated stuffing shoes with socks and you do get air circulating as you walk.

Finally, don't skimp on the old standbys, soap & water. Keep feet clean so you don't transfer soil into your shoes, ues a little talc and finely ground soda as a sock substitute -- and go happy.

Besides, bare ankles are finally an acceptable look, even for men.

How do I know? I am the one who researched and developed the first sockless shoes and boots made, back in the 60s -- the shoes that started this whole concept. Convetionalists hate the concept, creative dermatologists think it's great. Try it. P.

Fred P on 10/01/05 at 05:24 (183881)

Benefits of socks are fictional. Without them, you feet can flex more easily (as they should) and that is the kind of gentle and persistent exercise and stretching you need to resolve faciitis.

Also, socks cause and trap moisture. This trapped moisture threatens shoes and boots -- and your skin. To keep skin dry, you need air circulation. Presto! Eliminate stuffing shoes with socks and you then get air circulating as you walk.

Finally, don't skimp on the old standbys, soap & water. Keep feet clean so you don't transfer soil into your shoes, ues a little talc and finely ground soda as a sock substitute -- and go happy.

Besides, bare ankles are finally an acceptable look, even for men.

How do I know? I am the one who researched and developed the first sockless shoes and boots made, back in the 60s -- the shoes that started this whole concept. Conventionalists hate the concept, creative dermatologists think it's great. Try it. P.