Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why you have to speak up when dealing with a doctor's office

Posted by Kathy G on 6/05/03 at 18:03 (121061)

I was scheduled for a return appointment to the Rheumatologist for June 23rd. I received a notice in the mail saying I would need to reschedule. I called and they said, 'How about July 21st?'

I said, 'You're kidding. I'm supposed to get a shot of cortisone in my hand and find out the results of tests.'

Surprise, surprise. She found an appointment for June 30th! Had I not spoken up, I'd have had to wait all that extra time. I was nice about it but can you believe it?

Re: Why you have to speak up when dealing with a doctor's office

marie on 6/05/03 at 19:28 (121066)

Kathy,

Sometimes I feel it is that way no matter what business you're dealing with. I think they count on the possibility you might be a cow in the herd and just do whatever they say. It's a good thing you spoke up for yourself. Power to you.

Suzanne D on 6/05/03 at 21:19 (121083)

Good for you, Kathy!

I taught with someone at my first school who had worked in a doctor's office before she went back to college and majored in education. She said the employees in that office were told to not refund money owed to patients unless they asked three times. The first two times, they were told to put the patients off in hopes they wouldn't be brave enough to ask again. That really bothered me. She worked for a team of well-respected surgeons.

I guess we have to speak up as you did.

Suzanne :)

Richard,C.Ped on 6/06/03 at 08:25 (121099)

That almost sounds like an insurance company stall tactic. We had the hardest time filing claims when we first started. Every single one, literally, was denied the first time. I thought we were going to starve our first year in business. I finally had enough and searched, until I was given the person in charge of DME. The top dog. I told her how much trouble I was having, and she took care of the problem right then and there. Very nice lady who will not hesitate to answer any question I might have. Now we get paid from three days to two weeks. She told me that if I needed anything to just skip all the lower people and go directly to her.

Speak up! Do not ever be afraid to ask.
Richard

Suzanne D on 6/06/03 at 14:19 (121160)

I'm glad you persevered and that you found someone to listen and respond. Good advice to not be afraid to ask. Many people are so intimidated by the medical profession as a whole.

Suzanne :)