Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I do it again?

Posted by Sue D. on 6/05/03 at 22:56 (121092)

I had PF surgery in my left foot 4 yrs. ago. It was a success. I am pain free. Now... I have the same pain in my right foot. I haven't seen a dr. yet. But I know when I do go see one, they will suggest the treatments I have went through with my left foot. Shots, (NO HELP), Orthotics (NO HELP), Therapy.. ultrasound, massage, (NO HELP) etc. etc. I just want to get the surgery. Do you think I can suggest this to them at my first appointment and avoid all the other BS?

Re: Should I do it again?

Pauline on 6/06/03 at 09:47 (121118)

As long as your of sound mind you are in charge of your body and what treatments you will or will not have.

The question is, will a doctor perform surgery at your request before trying conservative methods first. That's up to the doctor.

If you have a bad outcome and no conservative methods were tried that doctor may have a tough time in a court room should you decide he was negligent and file suit afterward.

There are no guarantee when it comes to surgery. What your experience was with your first one may not be the same with the second. You hope and pray for the same outcome, but at the same time you have to be realistic. Body healing isn't black and white.

My suggestion is since you had success with your original doctor and have confidence in him go back and see him/her. Tell them what you've told us and see were they stand on doing what you ask.

If they agree you've gotten what you want, if not be glad that no one is rushing you into a procedure that does carry risks with it. Who knows second time around you may just be glad you did.

april on 6/06/03 at 10:54 (121128)

I had the same situation and yes, you can tell your doctor that you want to avoid all the long 'conservative' treatments that didn't work before. I did that, but my doctor still wanted me to try other options first. He said since I've already been thru the process with the other foot, he'd be more willing to do the surgery quicker if that's what I wanted. But he also scared me by telling me that surgery sometimes has worse results than the PF! I was lucky to have a good outcome the first time. Now I'm doing physical therapy and if that doesnt help, I'll have surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/03 at 13:17 (121154)

Excellent answer. I have been faced with this situation a number of times as have an number of colleagues. The patient must consider that the surgery, no matter how expertly performed, may or may not work. The first surgical experience does not enhance the predictability of the second so patients may set themselves up for major dissapointment.

Dr. Z on 6/06/03 at 20:20 (121216)

This may be the perfect situation for ESWT. More aggressive then long term conservative therapy but no risk like pf releases. We have patients that want to skip the possible long term conservative treatment by going the ESWT route however there is absolutely no possiblity of any type of insurance coverage and we tell the pateint this up front. Again this is a rare situation but it does exist.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/03 at 21:09 (121218)

Perhaps. Although Sue may feel anything other than surgery is 'BS.'

Dr. Z on 6/06/03 at 22:30 (121222)

The patient always has the final say in their treatment plan. I hope she realizes that Surgery can turn your foot into a BS experience for the rest of her life. We all have that feeling of won't happen to me . I wish her luck with what other choice she makes

Linda on 6/07/03 at 05:50 (121238)

I wouldn't have surgery ever again on my feet. I would avoid it at all costs. Even a procedure like fascia release. I had it done 2 times on my right,and once on my left,and i'm one of the people it didn't work on

Marty on 6/08/03 at 22:40 (121345)

I had surgery and now I will avoid it at all costs!!! I'm going for ESWT and pray it works for the heel spur and deal with the tts even though I've had it seven years!! The comment to be of sound mind is critical here and Doctors this has been a great thread of comments thanks. Gives a little insight into your thinking on a little more personal level.

Marty on 6/08/03 at 22:41 (121346)

You are really lucky. I can tell you.

lauriel on 6/09/03 at 13:30 (121383)

Marty, does that mean upi are having complications from your surgry?

Sue on 6/09/03 at 14:49 (121390)

I feel a need to update my message after viewing several of the responses received. I realize that conservative treatment is preferable to the surgery. Which is why I wear custom fitted orthotics daily and never go barefoot. I wear a night splint every night. I purchased the foot flex which I use in conjunction with my daily calf strethcing exercises. I freeze 16 oz. empty Cola bottles and roll my foot across daily. I have a golf ball for the same reason at my desk at work and use on a regular basis. Shy of cortizone shots which I will NEVER have again, I don't know what other conservative treatments I should try? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lynn S on 7/15/03 at 13:49 (124485)

Sue, What have you decided to do about your PF? Are you going to have the surgery? Have you tried ESWT? I have PF and have had ESWT twice. My dr. is recommending surgery. Since you have had successful surgery, do you have to wear an orthotic or special shoes? Do you still doe stretches, etc? Thanks, Lynn