Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bill Walton

Posted by john h on 6/06/03 at 09:27 (121110)

I was watching Bill Walton on TV last night. He is now a basketball color analysist on TV. He said he had 25 surgeries on his feet and ankles and 12 on his knees plus some on his shoulder. He did not say what surgeries he had on his feet but you can bet some were for PF. They asked him when he was.in the peak of health and he said when he was 12. It was all downhill from there. Ouch!

Re: Bill Walton

Kathy G on 6/07/03 at 08:41 (121242)

I just love Bill Walton. A few weeks back, he was on Fox'x 'Best damn Sports Show' which I occasionally tune in. I love the show because it doesn't treat sports as a life or death subject but as an entertainment which is what it is. If there's nothing on TV and I don't feel like reading, it's nice to tune in and see who's on, especially during football season. Walton was on for a whole week but I only remembered to tune in a couple of times. I get such a kick out of him. He describes himself as a 'Budhist Roman Catholic' and claims that if he could have a month with the Red Sox, he could teach them to tune into their positive energy through meditation and they would become a team that could win championships. That would be quite a feat!

john h on 6/07/03 at 09:44 (121246)

Kathy: I think it was on that show where he discussed his many surgeries.

Re: Bill Walton and hockey players - I tend to digress!

Kathy G on 6/08/03 at 08:33 (121286)

That must have been one of the ones I missed. Last night I was watching the Stanley Cup playoff game between the Devils and the Mighty Ducks. It occurred to me that there must be hockey players who suffer from PF. I mean the way they flex their feet as they push off, etc. Then I realized that it might be tough for them to zero in on one area of their body that hurts more than another one!

I don't usually watch hockey - haven't since the days of Orr, Esposito and the rivalry between the Canadiens and the Bruins. My future daughter-in-law's sister is dating a Devil, Jay Pandolfo, so I've been following the playoffs. There's been some good hockey and some really crazy plays that have resulted in scoring. The final game should be terrific.

Dr. Z on 6/08/03 at 12:05 (121303)

I can't wait to watch the 7th games. Real hockey was in the days of Orr,Esposito and lets not forget the GREAT BroadStreet Bullies. I still can close my eyes and see Bobby Clark scoring the winning goal that changed hockey history. . I still love the great power plays that the Bruins . I always thought of the rivalry was between Boston and the Rangers.

Dr. Z on 6/08/03 at 12:06 (121304)

I was told that Walton developed a stress navicular from a hard orthosis that broken and then broken his foot. It maybe just a story but this is what I

BGCPed on 6/08/03 at 19:42 (121326)

What about the old Wings? Gordy Howe, Sid Able, Ted Lindsey and Sawchuk to name a few?

john h on 6/09/03 at 08:22 (121361)

Since ice skates are very much inflexable at the sole, skaters are not constantly stressing their fasica like a basketball player or dancer. I doubt they have as much as some of these other activities.

Re: hockey

Kathy G on 6/09/03 at 08:34 (121364)

You're right, John. The skates probably protect their feet. Speaking of protection, I am amazed when I see the film of old games where the goalies didn't wear masks. I'd forgotten that. I was very aware of when they started wearing helmets as Teddy Green, a Bruin, sustained a serious head injury and came back wearing a helmet. It wasn't long after that the league made it became madatory.

I'm excited about tonight's game! Jay will be at my son's wedding in September so I can personally thank him for luring me back to see some great hockey.

Re: hockey

john h on 6/09/03 at 11:13 (121374)

I used to go to the old Chicago Stadium to watch the Black Hawks when they did to wear mask. There was not a goalie around that had his teeth. In high school we all played hockey at the city parks in the Chicago suburbs but I would not play goalie.