Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on both feet at once????

Posted by Rose M. on 6/06/03 at 09:36 (121113)

Next month I am having surgery on both feet at once. One is PF and the other is a neuroma. The doctor said the PF would be in a boot and the other could be weight bearing. But I have had friends who have had the neuroma surgery, and they were very sore for over 6 weeks. I can't imagine how I can get around. I welcome your comments. Rose

Re: Surgery on both feet at once????

lauriel on 6/06/03 at 10:21 (121124)

I have a friend who just had nueroma surgery and she was pretty mobile on that foot after a few days, 2 weeks later she was cutting grass. She took 6 weeks 4 weeks off work because she is a nurse, but you probably want to get a wheel chair for maybe for the first week or 2 to make it easier.
Laurie

Re: Surgery on both feet at once????

D. Johnson on 6/10/03 at 14:28 (121468)

Hi Rose,
Several years ago, against my doctor's advice, I had a bi-lateral pf. I can truly see why he doesn't like to do them. Getting around is extremely hard. If you have one foot done, you can hop, limp, or use crutches. With both feet what do you do? It was very painful because I was forced to put weight on them early on (to go to the bathroom and such). Now, on the other hand, you're looking at half the recovery time. That's why I did it. If you have a lot of help, you should be ok, but do expect some pain. I need to add, the results are well worth it. :-)
D. Johnson