Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About depression

Posted by Dorothy C. on 6/07/03 at 01:38 (121235)

Before I 'tuck in' for the night, I want to add a few comments about depression. There is a body of research that has shown that some depression, if not most, derives from a sense of helplessness. That is why, in turn, you often feel better when you feel like you can do something, have an impact on whatever is the problem, have hope. The contemporary word, 'empowerment', has that aspect to it. One of the terrible consequences of chronic pain for which there appears to be no foreseeable relief is that sense of helplessless and depression.
One of the very frustrating barriers that many posters encounter have to do with their insurance coverage, or lack therof. I want to suggest that one of the things that we can all do, even from a state of pain, is work toward something that will benefit us individually and benefit all Americans - and that is to work toward health care reform. That can be done even from a bed by writing letters, making phone calls, using the internet. It is a very important issue and needs to have our serious attention and we then need to see that all Americans finally have the same quality of health care coverage that we all pay for members of Congress and the White House to have. It should make all of us angry enough to work for change when we read over and over on this message board alone all the problems with insurance that people have - and that is if we are lucky enough to have insurance at all. Please don't think I am being flippant about depression or about pain; I am not in the least. I just think that it can be very helpful to work outside of ourselves, especially if it can also help ourselves - and others. Best wishes.

Re: About depression

Sharon W on 6/10/03 at 10:33 (121438)

Dorothy,

A VERY good suggestion!

I think you may have been referring to the concept of 'learned helplessness' causing depression, or a depressive personality, when one's own actions never seem to have any effect on what happens in one's environment. They have tested this theory on rats and the rats lose their ability -- or at least their motivation -- to run mazes. They just stay put and suffer whatever negative things come their way...

Sharon

Dorothy C. on 6/10/03 at 15:44 (121481)

Yes, that is correct, e.g. the work done by Martin Seligman at Pennsylvania - very important research. Thank you for your words.
Dorothy

HollyF on 6/12/03 at 13:06 (121647)

Not long ago I would've read your message and just skimmed on by. But, sometimes we need to see things for ourselves. Last week I was in the drugstore picking up a prescription. The lady asked for my copay of $22. I was getting a little ticked off cuz my copays keep going up, but I start writing my check. An old man, very feeble and shaky, prolly about 72 years old, walks up and asks for his prescription. The clerk asks for his 'copay'....$124.00. He took out his Visa. You could tell by his shoes the guy didn't have the money. Pathetic.

Sharon W on 6/12/03 at 15:21 (121660)

Holly,

The elderly are really being squeezed. They desperately need better prescription coverage; their age group typically has to swallow more medicines, as it is, and many of them literally have to choose between food or medicine...

Sharon