Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what is the best shoe??

Posted by betty w. on 6/07/03 at 18:52 (121272)

I was just diagnosed with plantar facititis in both feet. My biggest problem is that I work in retail in a huge store that requires me to walk and be on my feet for 8-10 hours a day. It's getting more and more difficult to get through each day. I'm not 'allowed' to wear sneakers or sneaker type walking shoes (without a doctors note). I know I could get a note if that is the best type of shoes to wear.

I'm currently wearing a shoe that is made by fly flot. Its a clog type shoe with a sling back, the shoes are anti shock, anatomic and have an area in the front for the toes to rest on. I have spent so much money on shoes over the last several months and nothing seems to be working.

I also purchased a pair of 'over the counter' orthotics from a podiatrist office. I was told to wear them for an hour the first day and gradually increase the time worn every day. I've had them for two days now and my feet hurt more than normal. I've been doing my foot exercises and am wondering if everthing together has just been too much.

If anyone has any suggestions on what type of shoes I should be wearing or any other information I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: what is the best shoe??

Suzanne D on 6/08/03 at 08:24 (121285)

Hi, Betty! I'm sorry about your pain. It seems that most of us who post here have PF (and varying other foot problems) in both feet. So we understand what you are going through. And many of us have jobs that demand that we be on our feet all day (I'm a teacher.), so we understand that, too! You've come to a great place for information and understanding. If you haven't already, I urge you to read The Heel Pain Book on this site - just click on the link here - as it is full of great information and treatment suggestions.

As for your shoes, it seems that this is such an individual matter that no one shoe helps everyone. But if I were you, I would definitely get the doctor's note to allow you to wear athletic-type shoes to work. Many people who post on this site have found that Birkenstock shoes (particularly the Arizona sandal) help them, along with an athletic-type shoe with an orthotic. It seems to help many of us to alternate from, say, the Arizona sandals at home to a lace-up shoe with an orthotic/insert at work. It really does seem to relieve the foot to change back and forth between them.

SAS shoes have helped several of us. For me, the SAS Free Time lace-up shoes with Superfeet inserts are good and are better than any athletic shoes I tried. All SAS shoes seem to be well-made, but all are not greatly supportive for foot problems. But the Free Time for women or Time Out for men seem to be best in that category.

New inserts/orthotics can cause soreness, but, after breaking them in carefully the way you were told, if in a few days they still hurt worse than usual, I believe it might be time to talk to your doctor and see what else he might recommend.

Others will no doubt have good suggestions for you, but I wanted to wish you well and give you these thoughts.

Good luck!
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 6/08/03 at 08:43 (121290)

There isn't much I can add to the excellent advice that Suzanne gave you. For me, Birkenstocks did not work out and I do best with custom orthotics in running shoes. For the years that I worked in retail and at a library, I wore the running shoes with my skirts and dresses. People seldom mentioned my foot attire to me but if they did, it was with sympathy, saying, 'You've got sore feet, huh?'

Management shouldn't give you any trouble if you get a doctor's note. I never had to bother to do that but it depends on the company.

I hope that the exercises you are doing are the Yoga stretches recommended on these boards. They help a great deal. Do them gently and regularly. I find myself making circles with my toes while I'm reading or watching tv - it just comes naturally. And ice as often as possible. Is there a freezer at work where you can keep some frozen peas? During your lunch break, you could wrap the peas in a pillowcase you keep in your locker and ice your feet as you eat.

Hope you feel better. You're in a tough career for someone with bad feet.

Good Luck!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/08/03 at 08:47 (121292)

I 'second' everything that Suzanne said. If there is a SAS shoe store in your area, I'd recommend getting SAS Free Time shoes. They are a leather tie-up shoe, and diabetics and nurses wear this shoe, often.

When you get home after work, try icing your feet by putting them on a bag of frozen peas. That feels so good!

Carole C

Pauline on 6/08/03 at 12:38 (121308)

Frozen peas seems to be our favorite vegetable especially when one has P.F. Perhaps we should tell Birdseye to air a commercial about the new found benefits of their frozen peas.

Good for your tummy, excellent for your feet.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/08/03 at 19:18 (121324)

Actually (sssh!!! don't tell anyone) but although I often say 'peas', actually I ice my feet with a bag of mixed veggies.

That was all that I had in my freezer when I got PF. Since I think it would be gross to eat them after icing with them, I've been using the same bag of veggies to ice my feet for a year and a half by now. They are about the same size as peas, and they seem to work quite well.

Carole C