Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Peroneal Tendinitis

Posted by Jenny S on 6/07/03 at 19:35 (121274)

Hello. I have been running since January and recently began having pain in my outer ankle behind the ankle bone. X-rays came back negative and the orthopedic surgeon told me it is peroneal tendinitis. I am on celebrex and have been icing the ankle 4 times a day as well as doing some stretching. I have not run in 10 days. Walking is somewhat painful but I can move my ankle without any pain. My question is: How long will it take to feel some improvement? I am supposed to be in the beginning of a marathon training program and I am concerned I will fall behind my group. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any input!

Re: Peroneal Tendinitis

Dr. Z on 6/07/03 at 22:22 (121280)

Hi
Rest is very important. Physical Therapy is very helpful. Placing your
foot and ankle in an air cast will help alot. Make sure this is indeed the peroneal longus and or brevis tendon. May need an MRI

Re: Peroneal Tendinitis

BGCPed on 6/08/03 at 18:47 (121322)

Did you by chance switch shoes a bit before you started getting pain? sometimes a shoe with more motion control and or orthotics can flare up peroneal tendon.

The shoe and or orthotic can case this within a few days or may take 8 weeks to do it. Just something you may want to check on