Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Capsaicin

Posted by judy l on 6/08/03 at 12:11 (121305)

I am suffering from some type of nerve damage or entrapment due to complications of an open plantar fasciotomy in August 2001. I was advised by Dr. Wander to try Capsaicin...

I had been given a prescription from my rheumatologist for a Lidoderm patch
for some hip pain. I decided to put the patch on my foot and it seemed to give me instant relief.

I was wondering whether the patch contains similiar ingredients as does Capsaicin creme. I know the Lidoderm patch is given to people with pain from shingles.
Judy

Re: Capsaicin

Mar on 6/08/03 at 17:23 (121317)

I don;t think they are similar, but I don't really know. I;ve used both. The lidoderm patch didn;t give me much relief. The capsaicin burned so much, it literally felt like I was walking on flames. It sure took my mind off the PF pain that's for sure!! The burning lasted for several days through about 6 showers!! Never again for me!! Mar

judy l on 6/08/03 at 18:03 (121320)

Oh gee...I think I will stick with the Lidoderm patch and not try Capsaicin...
All I know is that when I apply the patch to the bottom of my foot, I no longer feel the 'numb' feeling...

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/09/03 at 18:03 (121400)

Judy,

Please don't decide to not try capsaicin, just because Mar has decided it's not good for her. Mar is speaking from the experience of one person. I am speaking from the experience of using capsaicin on hundreds of people. Obviously ,if I didn't think it worked, I wouldn't recommend it. Burning is an initial side effect of capsaicin, and the burning can be reduced by not showering soon after using the product, using a lower potency or decreasing the frequency. Capsaicin acts by blocking substance P, a substance vital to the transmission of nerve impulses. It does not work immediately, and relief may not be seen for 2-3 weeks of regular use.

Lidoderm is simply a topical anesthetic and capsaicin is derived from hot peppers and the two products are not similar.

If you want my advice, based on 18 years of experience, I'd say it's worth a try. If you want to listen to one person's bad experience, you will deprive yourself a possible additional method of relief.

Mar on 6/10/03 at 05:33 (121428)

Judy -

Dr W is right. Just because it was a bad experience for me doesn;t mean you shouldn;t try it. I was just giving my experience which was not positive at all. We share experiences to get a fuller picture, to get ideas, and to be aware of possible side effects. For example, the lidoderm didn;t give me much relief at all, but it helps you a lot. The capsaicin was worst when I had shoes and socks on. So if you can try it on a day when you are home with your bare feet up, that might be a good start. Good luck. Mar

Rachael T. on 6/10/03 at 17:45 (121488)

I, too, Mar - had the same opinion of Capsaicin cream.....hot, hot, hot! I couldn't use it as it seemed to add to my discomfort of inflammation. Of couse, this was last yr. when my feet were worse than now - but I still am fearful of trying it for the lesser pain that I experience now.