Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin cream ??????

Posted by marie on 6/10/03 at 10:59 (121444)

Well I spoke to my doc about neurontin cream yesterday and he was a bit skeptical but offered to check it out with our local pharmacist. The pharmacist is willing to compund it and thanks to you guys I have a phone number for him to contact.

I was wondering for those of you that are using it how often you use it and has it helped?

thanks marie

Re: Neurontin cream ??????

Marty on 6/10/03 at 13:05 (121462)

Is anyone have luck with this cream??

Does insurance cover it??

Pam S. on 6/10/03 at 14:17 (121467)

I have not noticed any relief with the cream and my insurance did not cover it. Maybe I did not give it enought time but after one month I noticed no improvement in nerve pain. I was supposed to apply it twice a day and sometimes I forgot. Who knows? I could give it another go but I do not know that I would recommend it. Good luck

Sharon W on 6/10/03 at 17:50 (121489)

Marie,

You might ask Elliot about the Neurontin cream; I believe he was using a form of it once. I don't know if it helped him.

My guess is that, like all the other treatments for these things I've heard about, rub-on Neurontin cream or gel works better for some people than it does for others. Another issue might be the concentration of Neurontin in the cream -- i.e., 5% might be more effective than 1% or 2%...

Sharon

Marty on 6/11/03 at 12:59 (121551)

Sharon,

How are you hanging doing?

Sharon W on 6/11/03 at 15:06 (121570)

Marty,

Hanging in there...

Did you ever find out what that awful forefoot pain is?

Sharon

Marty on 6/12/03 at 14:23 (121654)

No, but I have put a few things together to figure out that I had it from to moment I got out of surgery. I even called my doctor the first night and asked him if I could loosen the front strap on my boot because if was to tight and causing pain. Once I did it subsided but that's because I was able to get me heel all the way in the boot and lift the ball off the bottom of the boot. Once I did that it went away. I didn't put any pressure on the ball area till about a month ago and that's when all crap broke lose. The doctor thinks it's the main nerve and it will heal. I have had some here say it might be the cuboids -spelling? bone casing the problem. So far I'm worse off then before. I can't walk without a pretty noticeable limp. I have to keep that foot out at a 45 degree angle so I don't incidentally put weight it the ball.

Sharon W on 6/12/03 at 15:08 (121658)

Marty,

To me it sounds more like it could be a neuroma; that's unfortunately a possible complication of just about any nerve surgery. I say that because the pain you're describing sounds nerve-y. (But of course, I'm not the expert...)

The lateral column syndrome thing (or a problem with the calcaneal/cuboid joint) is a complication far too often seen with PF surgery, which you also had. But that shouldn't cause primarily nerve-type pain.

This is just an observation, not an accusation against your surgeon, but I've noticed there seems to be a reluctance for some surgeons to acknowledge that there may be a complication developing as a result of one of their surgeries.

I think that may have to do with the fact that it looks bad for THEM, to have done a surgery that led to complications. Many of them like to tell their patients, 'I've done over 100 of these and so far I've had only 1 or 2 minor complications occur...' And COMPLICATIONS THAT A SURGEON NEVER ACKNOWLEDGES, THEY DON'T HAVE TO TREAT OR TAKE ANY 'BLAME' FOR.

But then again, maybe I just say that because I'm such a cynic...

Sharon
:-s

Marty on 6/12/03 at 16:06 (121666)

You are right in the head on this one!

Yep I could tell by the look on the doctors face when he seen the foot all swollen in the ball. He tried to tell me that it's the tts but I know better. I don't know what happen to the nerve and I don't know what I can do about it. I wonder if it can be killed since it's down in the ball area or if that would cause atrophied?

Sharon W on 6/12/03 at 16:50 (121675)

Marty,

You'd be better off asking one of the doctors to explain to you what a Morton's Neuroma is -- but I doubt if any of them would want to get involved, since they could conceivably get into some sort of lawsuit if they tried to second-guess your surgeon's statements to you.

Besides, positively identifying a neuroma (or WHATEVER it is) would surely require a physical examination, not just a description over the internet. You may have to find a DIFFERENT doctor who is willing to examine your foot (and if so you might be smart not to mention it if your surgeon hasn't yet 'released' you from your post-surgery treatment).

By the way, if you go back to 'View All Hell Pain Categories' and do a search on 'neuroma' or on 'Morton's Neuroma' you should find plenty of info on the subject; I've read some very good descriptions of the problem on this website in the past.

Good luck, Marty!

Sharon

Re: For Marty: about Morton's neuromas

Sharon W on 6/12/03 at 17:17 (121679)

Check this out; perhaps some of this will 'ring a bell':

http://www.podiatrychannel.com/mortonneuroma/

'Problems often develop in this area because part of the lateral plantar nerve combines with part of the medial plantar nerve here. When the two nerves combine, they are typically larger in diameter than those going to the other toes... The ground pushes up on the enlarged nerve with each step and the deep transverse metatarsal ligament pushes down. This causes compression in a confined space. ...The reason the nerve enlarges has not been determined.'

'Symptoms'

'The most common symptom of Morton's neuroma is localized pain in the third interspace between the third and fourth toes. It can be sharp or dull, and is worsened by wearing shoes and by walking. Pain usually is less severe when the foot is not bearing weight.'

------------------------

Here's a recent post on the subject by Dr. Ed:

'Elliott:
The most common cause of pain, especially sharp or radiating pain, in between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal heads is a Morton's neuroma. LATERAL COMPRESSION CAN ACTIVATE THAT TYPE OF PAIN. Have any of the docs looked for that?
Which nerve is being blocked? Location?
Ed'

-------------------------

http://www.orthonet.upmc.edu/Foot/PatientInfo/mortons.html

'Signs and Symptoms'

'Normally, there are no outward signs, such as a lump, because this is not really a tumor.'

'Burning pain in the ball of the foot that may radiate into the toes. The pain generally intensifies with activity or wearing shoes. Night pain is rare.'

'There may also be numbness in the toes, or an unpleasant feeling in the toes.'

'Runners may feel pain as they push off from the starting block. High-heeled shoes, which put the foot in a similar position to the push-off, can also aggravate the condition. Tight, narrow shoes also aggravate this condition by compressing the toe bones and pinching the nerve.'

---------------------

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/24454.html

'Symptoms'

'A Morton's neuroma usually causes burning pain, numbness or tingling at the base of the third, fourth and sometimes second toes. Pain also can spread from the ball of the foot out to the tip of the toes. In some cases, there also is the sensation of a lump, a fold of sock, or a 'hot pebble' between the toes.'

'Typically, the pain of a Morton's neuroma is temporarily relieved by taking off the shoes, flexing the toes and rubbing the feet.'

Hope this helps.

Marty on 6/13/03 at 16:03 (121781)

Thanks Sharon, Great information!

I will read up and I have done some reading in the past on Morton's neuronal. The thing I don't understand how it's caused from TTS release. How and why. I have asked a few times on the doctor's board and no one will respond. I don't blame them. I'm icing my foot right now. It's the only way I can get through the day.

Do you know if anything can be done about it? I wounder if it will heal?

Sharon W on 6/13/03 at 16:12 (121783)

Marty,

I can't tell you how and why a Morton's neuroma forms -- perhaps one of the docs would tell you, IF you phrased it as a theoretical question, without making any mention whatsoever of your own situation. That quote I found for you by Dr. Ed did mention something about 'lateral pressure,' but that's the only explanation I've found.

A lot of people get this condition without ever having foot surgery, so that obviously isn't the only cause! But I've read that ANY type of nerve surgery can lead to the formation of a neuroma; I think it is just because nerves are so very delicate. And, we all know that since we WALK on our feet, they are clearly subject to more pressure and stress than other parts of the body.

Sharon
:(PIPE)

Marty on 6/13/03 at 20:56 (121810)

Thanks

Re: By the way, Marty...

Sharon W on 6/13/03 at 22:34 (121823)

In your research on neuromas, did you come across any mention of sclerosing injections? I got the impression they are usually only used if the steroid injections don't work -- a treatment that may allow you to avoid surgery. What they are is injections of a solution containing alcohol, right next to the nerve. It usually takes quite a few injections, and they ARE painful (even if they mix in some lidocaine!) but some of the docs seem to swear by it. And, hey, if a doc offered you a treatment that might help you AVOID more nerve surgery -- wouldn't you at least think about giving it a shot?

Sharon

Re: By the way, Marty...

Morton on 6/15/03 at 09:52 (121914)

Yes, my pod has mentioned it before when we were talking about the zingers I get along the tops of my feet. (This was before surgery) It's caused by p/n. I have been really massaging the ball, heel and ankle area and it seems to be helping. I don't want to jinks myself by saying to much but well we will see.

Thanks for all you have done for me Sharon, I appreciate it greatly.

Marty

Re: opps

Marty on 6/15/03 at 11:09 (121916)

Opps, I typed in my formal name,