Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dealing with a shocking death

Posted by Necee on 6/11/03 at 00:08 (121515)

Gee, it seems lately all I have to share is bad news. Friday I was shocked to hear of the death of a dear friend.
I was at work when we got the call, Alton had worked many onsite auctions with me, he was a wonderful easy going kind of guy that was always helping others. He had a funny sense of humor, and always made me laugh, knowing him was a great joy.
He died doing something he loved best, and that was helping others. He was setting up tables and helping a friend get ready for an antique show, he had mentioned that he was tired and wanted to rest a few minutes in his van so he went outside, about 20 minutes later he was found dead in his van.
They speculate a heart attack or possibly and annurisum. An autopsy will determine the cause of death, and that report will be released in a few weeks.
We are all saddened and shocked by his death, I still can't believe he is gone. He was 67 and leaves behind a wife of almost 50 yrs......they would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this coming August. As you might imagine she is just heartbroken.

Re: Dealing with a shocking death

Sharon W on 6/11/03 at 08:06 (121520)

So sorry to hear of your loss. Some friends are so close to us, they are like family. And when it's sudden like that, it can take quite a while to get over the disbelief -- especially if it's someone you wouldn't normally see every day.

JudyS on 6/11/03 at 11:29 (121537)

Oh Necee that is sad news - it's suddenness doesn't help any, does it?
Hope you'll be able to focus on the goodness he brought to you.

Suzanne D on 6/11/03 at 17:29 (121584)

I'm so sorry, Necee. May you be comforted in remembering the good about your friend. @};-

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

marie on 6/11/03 at 20:44 (121602)

It is so hard to deal with a death of a good friend, especialy when it is so sudden. I hope that you can remember all the pleasant times. His wife and family are in my prayers. Take care of yourself and God Bless.

Tammie on 6/11/03 at 21:02 (121604)

Necee, I am so sorry about your friend. It is very sad and to think almost there 50 years. I am sure his wife will need alot of support and knowing you and how sweet and wonderful you are, I imagine you might be able to to give her a hug or two and help her thru this horrible time. Necee I really am sorry death is never a easy time ,there is no easy way, it just comes and the people left are the ones that have to hold each other and get thru the rought times by being together. Love to you ,I will be thinking of you and your friends family and say some prayers!

Necee on 6/11/03 at 23:58 (121617)

Many thanks to all of you who allowed me to lean on your shoulders, it's truly heartwarming.
I spoke to my deceased friends wife last night, she is holding up as best she can, keeping busy and having visits from friends and family helps her make it through the day.
We are having a moment of silence and a few words spoken about Alton prior to tomorrow nights auction. That will be a very emotional time I'm sure.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.