Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could the medication Predisone help with PF

Posted by Sandra D on 6/12/03 at 11:08 (121638)

Several weeks ago I took the medicine Predisone for my breathing. I noticted that my heels quit hurting. I thought losing some weight had cause this. But after several days off the medicine I noticed my pain returning. I was just wondering if the medicine helped the PF. Please respond.

Re: Could the medication Predisone help with PF

dave r on 6/12/03 at 15:41 (121661)

Prednisone is an oral steroid, which reduces inflamation.

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/14/03 at 16:30 (121873)

As per Dave R. prednisone is a steroid that is a very potent anti-inflammatory, therefore can significantly reduce symptoms. It is certainly not a cure since it does not address the cause of plantar fasciitis, and can not be used long term for plantar fasciitis due to potential complications. Patient's are sometimes placed on an oral steroid for approximately one week for cases of plantar fasciitis that will not resolve despite several attempts to alleviate the symptoms. In my practice I rarely use oral steroids for heel pain, since it does not address the cause nor does it usually offer any long term benefits

Sandra D on 6/16/03 at 14:15 (122005)

Thanks for the information. My pain is back with a vengance. Guess I will go back to the night splint, ice pack and rest. It is hard to do since I am a cater and our wedding season is in full swing. I really thought I was improving. Its depressing.